Minute Maid College Classic

Minute Maid College Classic

Please refresh my memory why we no longer participate in this annual prestigious event in our own backyard?

I highly doubt it was our choice…

2 Likes

We’re not invited.

4 Likes

@Colt45
Pretty sure Whitting backed out the last 2 yrs if they were even on the Invite list. For whatever reason they did not play well there the last 3 times or so. CTW even commented on that aspect, which leads me to believe it could have been mutual.

Edit: so he traveled to Az instead n went 0-3. At least he tried a different venue. :person_shrugging:

I know for sure at least once, and possibly twice, it has been done as a Big XII vs SEC matchup.

So… UH vs. UT…? :grin:

1 Like

Whitting says no ty.

Edit: maybe UTEP

I’ve got to think we’d play if invited, it’s good for recruiting. I think it’s more about attendance, and the Astros are inviting teams that will draw bigger crowds, big12, sec, etc. Attendance-wise, it hasn’t been the same since the whiners of the big10 got the ncaa to push back opening day for them. Before that, the College Classic was held in conjunction with Astros Fanfest, and the Friday and Saturday crowds were really good. Since then, I can remember being at games and at times it seemed you could hear a pin drop.

2 Likes

I don’t think he turned down anything……just flat not invited….

Why would you turn down College Classic to head to the West Coast?

Could have taken your beating here…. Why waste the $$$$? 0-3 is 0-3.

1 Like

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrilliantLikableBluefintuna-small.gif

1 Like

We haven’t done well at all. Here’s the breakdown: 3-0 (1x), 2-1 (4x), 1-2 (9x), 0-3 (4x). Three of the 0-3 finishes are our last three appearances. Noble: 13-17. Whitting: 7-17. Ironically, the 3-0 finish came in Noble’s last year as HC.

2 Likes