Money, Sponsors and Cancellations

I teach elementary school Developmental Sped. It was a very interesting zoom world.

These are the most vulnerable of our students and live on repetition and routines. Add into that I am at a Title 1 school with 94% economically disadvantaged.

For this population with disabilities every day outside of school is a regression. A regression that can take a long time to overcome.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is brutal. I don’t see how legally teachers can really be fulfilling IEP’s with distance learning.

Maybe a tangential issue, but are Greek organizations holding fraternity and sorority rush in today’s COVID-19 era?

If not, then there’s another educational casualty of the pandemic: the loss of the social connections/social education that the in person college experience delivers.

That’s valuable as well! Don’t underestimate it!

As for online education, I have five degrees.

Three are in person (Case Western, CGSC, and UH Law Center), and two are online (Illinois and Central Michigan).

I got A LOT less out of the latter two than the former three.

I think that law courses would see the most significant degradation from an online format.

Those classes are almost entirely question and answer, debate and discussion.

Interaction with a more knowledgeable Professor is at a premium.

Unless it were possible to conduct such courses via some sort of mass Zoom meeting, I don’t really see how they can be done effectively online.

3 Likes

I would think that the “legal responsibility” is on the school and the district not the teacher.

1 Like

I would have never thought this before, but having a wife who teaches at the high school level you would be surprised at how much is dumped on the teachers that should be dealt with at the administration level.

1 Like

LOL.

I wouldn’t be surprised.

Four comments on the discussion.

1.) It is different for companies and I am talking engineering, IT, to work and collaborate online. The people participating have the education, and work experience that helps them to collaborate online. Students do not have the knowledge and experience yet and it makes it more difficult. My youngest son, has one more semester left to get his Computer Engineering degree and is currently working for a cyber security company. Since CoVid he has been working remotely online. He will tell you that as they have added new student interns, the time to get them to be able to effectively work tickets is much longer and he relates to not being able to have someone else looking over their shoulders and collaborating on the ticket.

2.) Social interaction is a critical part of the whole college experience. There is a big leap in maturity and social skill development between high school and college. I tell people that the degree on the wall tells people not as much that you have a degree in some field of study as much that it tells them that you are now able to do critical thinking. You hopefully should be able to think “outside the box”. You are going to lose some of that without the social interaction available in college.

3.) The big push to get kids back in school is because online did not work for most. The reason is two fold. 1.) Lesser extent of kids not having the tools at home. I live in the Sugar Land area. Shortly after the kids shut down, I went to Best Buy. They did not have one computer in stock. They had all been sold. 2.) The main reason is you cannot make the kids attend. My wife teaches Math. She had a handful that were there every day and did well, she had the progressing faster than normal. She had a large portion who did not attend and then last minute were trying to get just enough done so they could be passed.

4.) Last one. Companies are already looking at what is happening in the colleges and high schools and the impact on the quality of the degrees coming out of the schools in the next few years.

4 Likes

Related to that, people in the workforce are also professionals and getting paid.

They also don’t have to be in the learning environment all day, everyday.

I am a sped teacher also. We had to amend all IEP’s.

We rocked out as much as we could. The PT, OT and ST world is a mess. Same with APE.

Those worlds are always a mess where I am.

Never enough space. Relegated to hallways in older buildings sometimes.

Remote learning does not work well there.

It took me a while to come up with special ed, but I am still working on IEP.

Individualized Education Plan. Lol