More love for Tune from profootballnetwork

Clayton has always had the potential to be a great QB for us. The one thing that has held him back the most of reaching full potential has been is happy feet in the pocket. At times it like he has been like he is doing the two step with an invisible dance partner back there. The other area he has to work on to be full potential is his touch. He has gotten better but could still use some growth in when to know to put zip on the ball and when to put some air on it to let receivers run under his passes. I have always hoped that Case would come down during the spring while Tune has been here to work on him with touch and guiding receivers. Case was one of the best I have ever seen at knowing how to put air under passes and guiding receivers. His touch on his passes still amazes me to this day when he wore the Coog Red

1 Like

To be fair to Tune, his OL hasn’t been the greatest.

You could see in the Tech game, though, Tune was feeling pressure when there wasn’t any there. Sloppy OL play will have you seeing things that aren’t there.

Our OL was much improved last season. And you could tell how comfortable Tune was getting in the pocket. I expect to see another huge jump from him this season.

Sky is the limit for our QB. He has everything you could want in a QB at the next level.

3 Likes

Tune had “happy feet” as a freshman and soph for the same reason Case would bail out of the pocket with the Texans – there actually was no pocket and it was either bailing and surviving long enough to throw the ball or being sacked. Now Tune has more patience because he has an OL the he trusts to give him a pocket to throw from.

Yes, I was on his bandwagon from day one and always felt he would be a very good QB for us. Now he has the weapons that allows him the ability to display how good he really is – just like how Matthew Stafford looked mediocre at Detroit but was able to show his real value on a team with a good OL and weapons to throw to.

BTW; my statement was in no way meant to be an “I told you so” moment. Just calling it like I see it, and have seen it.

4 Likes

Stafford has never looked mediocre. Lol

The Lions have looked bad and he was the QB. He did what he could, but he was never rated as a top QB along the lines of Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Brees, Manning, etc. So, despite being good, he was at best middle of the pack or second tier, which to me equals mediocre. It may be a matter of semantics, but that’s how I see it.

I remember my junior year in hs. We weren’t good and our oline was not either. I remember sensing pressure that wasn’t there. I was always under pressure so even when I wasn’t it seemed like I was.

1 Like

Not sure what you were seeing but I do recall multiple times early in the second half of that game when 1 or 2 Tech DL’s were coming thru “free” or unblocked right up the middle and Tune getting crushed or running for his life. (IIRC, they seemed to be poring thru mostly over the right guard spot.)

Yes.

But there were also many times when Tune was feeling pressure without any being there. In the same game.

Like I said. The OL play didn’t help. And had him thinking he was seeing pressure when he wasn’t. Which led to bad decisions. Specifically in the second half.

1 Like

That’s the way it goes or at least for me it did in hs.

He is getting so much praise now that it is making me worried about the high expectations. Looking forward to seeing what Dana rolls out there this season.

Been there done that
.:rofl:

1 Like

Preseason top 20 senior quarterbacks:
9. Clayton Tune, Houston (6-2, 213)

5 Likes

I read an article by 247sports and they didn’t have Tune in their top 25 QBs. What a joke. And at first I thought it was P5 teams, but nope it was FBS. Still unbelievable they didn’t have him in there.