Mountain West TV deal?

Wow, Boise State gets $2.9M while the others get $1.1M. It sounds like the MWC is trying to get Boise State to get an equal share but they are not budging. This is probably why TV negotiations is taking so long.

Boise State has nowhere to go but to independence so they should play nice with MWC negotiations. They are not worth $20M a year so AAC in not interested in them.

2 Likes

To add insult to injury, Boise gets to inflate its record against its peers which probably can’t contribute the same amount of resources to their programs. Although they are a solid program, it makes Boise look better than they are.

Where do you get $20MM from? The average AAC team is worth slightly less than $7MM. Why would a team need to be worth triple our current average team in order for us to be interested?

It’s only an estimate but I am using the P5 analogy or reasoning to expand.

Wouldn’t that be $18MM then? 11 teams plus the $7MM share? Still seems high.

1 Like

Okay sure but it’s basic math. Will The AAC teams be okay with $500K then?

The AAC games are currently viewed in EST and CST. We’d be adding a later time zone(s) which would probably reduce viewership for the east coast teams, i.e. PAC12 dilemma. I believe the east coast schools would vote against it unless it was worth it financially or the added school could solidify us as an official P6 conference with baked in benefits.

I believe the only way we could become a P6 is if a blueblood joins us and we know that’s not happening.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Article/Mountain-West-football-TV-deal-television-CBS-FOX-announces-networks-Fresno-State-football-San-Jose-State-Hawaii--141925537/

This deal moves Mountain West programs away from the ESPN Networks, coming with a sizable increase in revenue. The deal reports in at six years for a total of $270 million - Up from about $1.1 million per school annually to nearly $4 million per school.

No football games will kickoff after 8 p.m. local time. While the conference’s West Division teams rarely kicked off before 7:30 p.m. locally prior, the Mountain Division schools were subjected to kickoffs as late as 8:35 p.m. on location.

All kickoffs will take place between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. at the latest under the new deal.

That was a little more than expected. Good for them.

5 Likes

This seems to be a better deal than the AAC deal considering the length and what the MWC brings to the table.
The AAC negotiated a bad deal, anything under 10 million for 12 years was a bad deal.

2 Likes

Thats a great deal. They’re going to make what we make 6 years before our contract runs out. Horrible deal for us from the beginning.

Whats happening? They’re giving them resources to compete. If and when they get more money to compete we will have a competitor to our brand. Putting us at risk.

Maybe CBS was willing to spend more after they lost the SEC games after 2023?

1 Like

Remember, our deal was reported as getting reworked and that a new member may be coming along
let wait for the next report.

3 Likes

See post above this one.

1 Like

They got a good deal. They got what they wanted. Whether it’s as good or better than ours depends on priority.

Money: Ours pays more, but a lot of that is going to be eaten up (at least initially) by production costs. CBS doesn’t typically have those requirements.

Term: Six years is better than twelve. They really pulled that off.

Exposure: They may technically have more games shown than us (Up to 46 football games to 40) but ours are better placed. A lot of theirs are going to end up on FS2. And we’ll get to see more games on ESPN3 and ESPN+, which is good from a fan perspective if not a program one.

Perception: We probably benefit a bit more from this, just because we have the better bottom line.

Also, notably, this probably means that Boise is going to continue to pull in more money than us and will have no incentive to change conferences.

I’m not sure where you got 46 games, but their deal is from 16 to 23 games. All other numbers specified is part of this 23. A minimum 7 of the 23 games will be on Fox or FS1 and the remaining 23 games are on FS2.

Boise State will have a separate deal for its 6 or 7 home games. The article also said that they may scrap the Boise State special deal after this new TV contract expires.

The deal is the first time that the Mountain West has partnered with FOX. The Mountain West will have 16 to 23 football games aired nationally, with a minimum of seven games on FOX or FS1 - other games will be aired on FS2. The Mountain West Championship Game will be featured on FOX or FS1 throughout the deal.

I am not judging the full terms of the deals but by itself I would much rather have content on FS2 than ESPN3 or ESPN+ since I think more people have FS2.

Up to 23 from Fox plus 23 from CBS.

FTR I didn’t count ESPN+ or ESPN3 into the calculations at all. the 40/46 comparison was linear networks only (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU vs CBS/CBSSN/Fox/FS1/FS2)

1 Like