My first order of business would be

Why should we keep a small12 game, any games for that matter?
The small12 USED US This has been going on since 1996. Do you want to play tt or ou so these games can help them recruit in our area? Sorry friends but it goes against ALL principles. Make it a point. Make it a point now. I am sick and tired to be used as a pawn. Aren’t you? This is not a knee jerk reaction.
Instead we replace these games with every other P5 team available. BIG10 Teams would be great.
The small12 does not want to have us in their conference because they are SCARED. That’s the bottom line.

2 Likes

I would support canceling the OU game for sure.

What are you talking about? We’re not going home. We’re going to switch gears and not focus on trying to get into a conference that’s dragged out all of their dirty laundry for the public to see. I would hope we schedule conferences that actually want to play real competition and possibly show how playing at Houston will bring more eyeballs to their conference… looking at you PAC12 or ACC

In the meantime, the AAC needs to really focus on improving facilities and academics to strengthen our conference.

1 Like

The problem with cancelling games at this point with these schools is that replacing them isn’t going to be easy. What did CTH say about North Dakota State after they beat another FBS school; “I’d tell my AD not to schedule them.” Hell, AD Castiglioni of OU said something similar about us this spring during the lead up to the game: “If we knew that they’d be this good, we wouldn’t have scheduled them.”

As long as we’re good, it won’t be easy to get games with these schools as we’re still “G5” in everyone’s mind and G5 is G5 no matter how good you are. It’s the system; we can fight it, but we won’t win right away if at all. Better to keep them on the schedule and beat them on the field with big TV ratings and big crowds. That’s the easiest way to hurt them.

People keep saying that playing Big XII teams in Houston helps them recruit Houston. Is that true if they come in here and we dominate them like we did OU? We all know that our toughest recruiting competition in Houston comes from the Big XII. For that reason, and that reason alone, I’m all for them coming in here (TDECU or NRG) and bringing in potential recruits to see them manhandled by “little ol’ UH”. There was at least one kid at the UH v. OU game that had narrowed his choices down to those two schools. Our utter dominance of OU had to make a pretty big impression on him. I, personally, would love more of those opportunities. However, I think we’re in a position now to not accept chump change for the pleasure of doing so.