Navigation assistance please

So I reside in Northern Occupied Mexico (aka The Rio Grande Valley) and have joined the ranks of UH season ticket holders. I know where Houston is, in fact I have a son and family that reside in the Woodlands. I learned that I can drive to their place and avoid Houston traffic by making an end run to the west at Wharton up through Hempstead and then head East. It is 2 miles farther but infinitely easier on my nerves. In fact some of that path is actually enjoyable which I can’t say about traversing road construction in the Richmond - Rosenberg area. Unfortunately TDECU stadium and the green parking lot require a path through the gauntlet. Now I know where the green lot is. I used to park there in the mid 60’s when I was a resident in recently razed Oberholtzer Hall. I have attended a few games for both football and basketball but have not parked south of campus for those. My question is what is my best route when I am coming straight in for a game? Back in my day we drove in on OST (90) to Scott and north to Macgregor east to Cullen and north to the lot. Thanks in advance for any help

4 Likes

Please do not be that guy

This is getting serious even he is lost

Well it could be worse

2 Likes

Cute, 92010Coogs. Trying to be helpful I’d suggest staying on 69 from Wharton to 610 East until Makaya Road exit, left on Makaya until it turns into TX Spur 5, University Drive off Spur 5 into the campus. I don’t come from your direction but have taken TX Spur 5/Makaya from campus to 610, so I know that works. Maybe someone else who does reach campus from the south can offer a better route. Good luck.

To be honest i dont know where you’re coming from. But, in the event you are coming from woodlands to get to Green lot to be “easy” on you. The way i would do it is taking Hardy to 59 going south. Exit Jackson. Turn left on Franklin. Right on Emmanuel. Left on Preston. Right on Emancipation Left on Elgin. Right on Scott. Left on Wheeler.

or

Hardy to 59 exit Elgin. Left on Elgin. Right on Scott. Left on Wheeler.

1 Like

Take the rail.

3 Likes

I drive that route from the Valley and, you’re right, the construction around Richmond sucks. Yet, it’s usually only 10 miles which after driving 200 is no big deal.

The back way in is 288 to MacGregor and left on Cullen for Green lot

3 Likes

stexguy,
I remember those days. In my opinion, here is a better suggestion than the green Iot which is also my parking lot. Drive to the Metro Palm Center Rail Transit Center. Park free next to the train which is free on game days and take a quick 10 min ride with other Coogs to the stadium. The train stops at the stadium and the walk is half the distance from the green lot to the stadium gates.

Palm Center Transit Center is on Griggs next to the Constables Station between MLK and Mykawa Rds. Once we tried it we’ll never go back to parking at the stadium and fighting the traffic. I really encourage you to give it a try. Easy, safe, and hassle free. You’ll also miss all the game day traffic headaches.

3 Likes

Just keep it between the navigational beacons…

1 Like

What coachv said.

2 Likes

I go hardy to 59 to 45 exit spur 5 right on wheeler.

1 Like

Reminds me of SNL skit “what’s the best way to get there”

1 Like

On the way back be sure to stop at Junior’s in Wharton and score some of the Chicken Cordon Bleu sausage. You’re welcome

1 Like

Message boards are serious business

So would that be 59/I69 to 8 and 8 to 288?

Thanks

1 Like

Sounds like a good option for a valley rat like myself.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I often stop at Hinze’s in Wharton for a sandwich and some tater salad. Also sometimes stop at Prasek’s near Hilje for some sausage. Not as good as in the old days but still better than what I can find at HEB and Wally World.

2 Likes

Heads up folks coming from the south. The bridge that connects N and S MacGregor just east is 288 has been completely removed for reconstruction and all eastbound traffic is forced to stay on S MacGregor all the way to Scott. Also, half of Cullen Blvd has been removed and the remaining side had been restriped to accommodate one lane of traffic in each direction. Will make game days hairy. You might really consider the light rail as a better option.

4 Likes

Eldorado in Kingsville is our spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Fast service, good food.

We’ll be parking @ Palm Center and taking the train. Maybe we’ll be seeing you there . . . . .

With the construction on McGregor@288,

straight up Scott from Beltway 8 works OK