NCAA Player Compensation Lawsuit Could Spark Conference Realignment

I don’t understand how allowing a person to control their own image has anything to do with the rest of the school. Are the students on scholarship in other departments not allowed to make money off their accomplishments either? It’s like a band member not being allowed to sell his own music. It doesn’t take anything away from him being apart of the Spirit of Houston, if anything it increases value to the school. Same can be applied to any other field. If a student on scholarship gets a patent for something they created while at UH, then all the money they make should be given back to the school? All companies students create in the entrepreneurship program should not be able to make money until after the student graduates?

If Ed Oliver wants to do autograph signings and endorse apparel, I have no problem with it. I highly doubt students are going to be in an uproar because he gets a scholarship to play football and also made money doing appearances.

Athletic departments are going to get much smaller and less expensive because you do not need both men’s and women’s sports. Thanks to men and women being equal, and the ability to self-identify gender, they can all compete on the same athletic teams. Recruitment will be based on talent/ability and not gender.

This means no more Title IX stipulations. All athletes, regardless of how you self-identify will compete for the same scholarships. May the better athletes win.

Spending now cut in half. You’re Welcome.

1 Like

You will be done…but you won’t be "done*…you will still be passionate about your school.

One solution would be for the NFL to get a minor league like the MLB and NBA. For those athletes who never wanted to go to college in the first place, could sign up with the NFL minor league. This means colleges will get athletes who really want an education but it also means there will be a drop off in collegiate talent. Colleges could keep things the same but maybe increase the stipend and let players earn money for their likeness, signature, etc.

Band members, tennis players and others on scholarships are allowed to make extra money outside of school. Why does making extra money outside of school discriminates against basketball and football players? Why does Title IX not address the fairness of this between sports?

High school athletes can go directly to the MLB minor league after graduation and the NBA will allow it in a few years.

(Later History section)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft

In April 2018, a report from the Commission on College Basketball was released. It recommended, among its findings, the abolishment of the “one-and-done” rule,[16] thus high school players can be directly eligible for the draft again. The NBA notified its member teams in a memorandum that the earliest possible draft without the one-year rule (not named in the memo), among eligibilty changes, can be in 2021.

This is what I want.

Find 28 more teams and ESPN will pay it billions

Not good news for G5 or lower-revenue P5 schools since only a handful of universties don’t already have to subsudize their athletics programs.

Hey, I’m a Libertarian. Pay people what they’re worth, but don’t expect them to get a degree from your school. Most will already be making more than non-scientific grads five years after graduation.

Ian is right. We’ve finally found an issue to get attorneys and politicians on opposite sides. Agents will be coming out of the woodwork to rep players that aren’t getting the right cut. Players holding out and their agents saying they shouldn’t have to attend class if they aren’t getting paid. Female politicians burning the statehouse down over Title 9 imbalances.

Tree huggers suing the state over misappropriation of revenues.

Lolololol…in a sinister kind of way I’d like to see it play out.

The bad news is Baylor would still be raping and killing people.

I believe there was a group that was trying to get something off the ground in California. Mike Shanahan was part of it and they were tryting to create four teams of kids that didn’t want to go to college. Idea was for it to expand and eventually become an NFL minor league. Not sure what happened to it.

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.pacificprofootball.com/

1 Like

Great to see you back Patrick.
My question is about this lawsuit & the Ed O’Banon ruling a few years ago. Could this be “added” to this lawsuit? Think about the amount of Schools that are truly sustainable. There are not many. They sure would not be enough to sustain a National College competition.
Did the tv contracts ruin college football? The argument could easily be made especially with what the recent realignment have have done to local rivalries. Apart from being a U of H alum I will contend that U of H brings a ton more than a WV to the small12 advertising cash register.

2 Likes

Feels good to be back. Don’t know how regular it will be yet, but I felt pretty good tonight.

This is interesting if it actually has an effect on college sports. I’ve seen mentions that many of the P5 smaller schools would have trouble continuing at this level of college football…schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt as well as much of the ACC might have to “opt out.” In the end, college sports are run by the presidents and many presidents still believe that academics are what the University should be focused on, something that is true.

2 Likes

I will just throw out there, all programs in the P5 could be sustainable if they wanted to be. The arms race with facilities is what causes issues along with outrageous coach salaries. It is amazing when you think about how a larger percentage of P5 schools have their own stadium vs NFL teams. Alabama has better facilities than any NFL team. The small private school TCU had a better practice facility than the Dallas Cowboys up until two years ago. Our basketball program has a better practice facility than the Rockets.

Long term you would need a revenue sharing system, and that is where it gets scary because they wont be revenue sharing for 130 programs. An all out paying and making athletes pros will probably cut off the top 40 or so programs. But as I have been saying, just simply allowing players to profit off their own image wont mess anything up. The NCAA is just scared to death about that because it just lets people push harder for more benefits.

2 Likes

Also UH has a much better football Indoor Practice Facility than the Houston Texans.

1 Like

A university isn’t realty supposed to be a business, especially public ones. I’m not so sure what’s un-American about it.

1 Like

Then coaches should coach for room and board and a small monthly stipend as well. It supposed to and what they actually are seem to be different things.

UI don’t follow that that logic.

Football is part of a student’s curriculum just like anything else. Coaches should be paid like other faculty which is more than room and board and a monthly stipend.

apples =/= oranges

Okay, then coaches should be paid no more than the average professor.

To say that this is not a business is silly.

Texas just went up in recruiting state wide, with no income tax.

If a university is a business then where are the profits and who gets them?