New NIL Rules

This promises to be a litigation nightmare. Justice Kavanaugh’s concurrence in the recent USSC case suggested that there might be NO WAY to put any limits on NIL.

We’ll see how far the lawyers decide to go…and how far lower courts are willing to take this.

Also to that argument, if a kid wants to sell his likeness or services to a private company then they should be allowed to. Restraining an American’s right to work and make money is pretty unamerican.

1 Like

If you’re working for it, it ain’t free.

As long as they stop alumni booster involvement, that will help

We’ll see how long that holds up, given Kavanaugh’s concurrence.

1 Like

Yes and he or she still has a choice.

I wonder how true that really is, for instance Star Pizza. Could they have found it less expensive to go to NIL? Like, if buying ads or sponsoring the school directly was out of their budget but they could do NIL deals in a more cost effective manner. Take away the NIL and they don’t turn around and sponsor the school.

I don’t know that to be a fact, just specilating with some possibilities.

Well there is only so much money to go around and if your a company that would have given to athletics, you now do nil. I think it’s the alumni boosters that decide to give to athletes / slush fund like a$m did instead of the athletic dept but that could go away with the new ncaa rules.

Agreed and when all this blows over only a very select few athletes will be getting NIL deals. I can see problems in the locker room in the future. The near future

Yeah like a qb getting $100k and his lineman etc nothing. It’s why we got that star UT lineman transfer bc he said all the players were after was the money.

Not sure what you mean, please explain?

Yeah this whole charade by the NCAA appears to be nothing more than attempt to look like they are doing something, when they must know that any rules they try and enforce will get stricken down.

Amateur sports as we all knew is done, people may as well except it.

“Tshiebwe has figured out how to get around it and, per report, will have earned a total of total to $2.75 million in NIL deals by the end of the week.”

1 Like

We shall see the longterm effect of NIL. But for now guys like Tshibwe and Drew Timme coming back to college due to NIL, is good for the college game

College basketball needs stars, besides the 1 and done players…

I like Timme. Im glad hes playing at Gonzaga and not some un known team in Europe that no one watches (as a CBK fan)

3 Likes

UH was wise in doing it the right way. Will there rules hold in court, we’ll see if someone decides to challenge them.