New UH Bookstore

New bookstore provider promises affordability options

Amy Turpin, Follett Regional Manager, said that Follett has several options that will allow students to save money, including many digital and rental books.

“The UH Campus Store helps students save on course materials by offering choices like rental, digital and the largest selection of used books in the industry,” Turpin said in an email. “Students have full access to these format options, and prices, in-store and online via our website.”

*Follett will price match Amazon and Barnes & Noble only, Turpin said. They will not price match Chegg, Amazon Prime or Amazon warehouse deals. *

The new provider also has plans to discuss providing Open Education Resources, or freely accessible textbooks and other content.

“Follett does offer Open Education Resources (OER) content to interested universities through OER vendors such as OpenStax and Lumen,” Turpin said. “We plan to discuss this option with (the UH System) as part of its focus on affordability and value to students.”

2 Likes

Just looking at the picture, looks like selection will not be as plentiful as before

Rayos, you seem to have a real mad on for UH, but I bought my Luchesse boots in 1982 and had them resoled about 5 years ago and they still look and feel real good. They were made in Texas, not China.

As for your disdain for the bookstore making a profit, that what businesses are in business for. If you want the school to subsidize a bookstore, then the costs will go up elsewhere. Nothing is free, someone has to pay for it and as long as our state won’t budget more, the ones who pay for it are the students. Alumni buy a lot of overpriced stuff as well, that is everywhere though. Why else do you think a baby suit with UH on it at Academy costs about 4 or 5 times what the same thing would bring in a regular store like Kohls? It sells because they know grandpa will pay it just as I have for all my grandkids over the years.

6 Likes

Exactly. In addition, I thought the quantity and quality of the merchandise improved when Barnes and Noble took over, not to mention that customer service went to a much higher level. Sorry it didn’t work out for you Rayos! Go Coogs.

2 Likes

here is the website

https://www.bkstr.com/houstonstore/home

I had the same impression from the picture. The apparel portion of the website is back up and it too is consistent with your impression. It looks like maybe 1/2 the stuff they had before and asthetic/material quality looks to have dipped as well.

1 Like

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt since they just opened but man that apparel selection…woof

1 Like

Agreed. The wife and i make an annual trip on “move in weekend”. We hit the gear shop at the UC and then walk across the street for beer and wings. Soak it all in.

6 Likes

Follett is a “no frills” textbook-focused company, so I would not expect much in regards to apparel.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate.

UH apparel/fan gear isn’t always so widely available out on the local economy.

6 Likes

I don’t remember the % discount Alums received (10% or 15%) previously but will it still be offered by Follett?

1 Like

Say what? Tuition is the same for UH and UT/ATM. It was when I went to UH too. But back then it was around $500/semester, now its around $5000!

Alums got a discount…

Where were you with this information!

Life Members get 15% discount.

4 Likes

West Coast sources get 20% off…

2 Likes

Cristian. When we attended the “signing day event” (not really just called it that) in February of this year to introduce CDH we walked over to the bookstore prior to the event. I purchased a shirt and hat and gave the cashier my Alumni card. There was a 10% or 15% discount applied.

3 Likes

I used to get 15% at both bookstore and fan shop by the stadium, wondering about the alumni discount at the new bookstore myself.

Law hall,
That’s funny!!

Wasn’t talking about tuition. The amount of money the state gives to UT/A&M compared to UH is drastically different and that’s not even counting the PUF.

5 Likes