NIL and the Next Step?

How can the NCAA carry out investigations with a straight face with all this going on. I suspect Penny Hardaway’s lawyers are gonna go to town with this NIL stuff when he receives his penalty.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1521601108757602304?s=21&t=zjK2JAgXgCW0S5l7K7wDng

1 Like

I’m hearing the NCAA is going to punt this back to the conferences

1 Like

They want the ship limit cap expanded from 85 to make up for transfers, makes sense but it still needs to be a cap of lets say 95 vs unlimited.

Illegal procedure .

Never liked the idea that a player can’t profit from his time or signing his name, we’re a free enterprise society. There does need to be some type of regulation and not on the dollar amount but rather on how the money is distributed to the player, someone needs to look out for these kids to protect them from themselves and everyone they know with their hands out, whether the money is funneled into a trust until after they leave or graduate…something. Don’t know many 18-22 yr olds that know how to handle large sums of money responsibly. Since the NCAA has proved to be incompetent this should probably be handled by the institutions. They gave the scholarship and invested in the player they should probably oversee NIL.

That’s the thing players aren’t profiting from time and money they’re doing so from signing as free agents to play for a school. NIL wasn’t supposed to be used to recruit. Now these guys are asking for contracts prior to signing with a school and it makes the whole thing less worth it because they don’t feel the loyalty to the school and the school with the most donors willing to hand over cash for play have more probability of winning building super teams. That’s whats wrong with the NBA and now it’s going to college.

1 Like

I just ordered some Derek Parish shirts from the website below. Glad to see our Agent Zero getting in on NIL opportunities:

5 Likes
1 Like

I’m hearing the boosters will find away around it. Portals ahoy!!!

lol didn’t the Aggie consortium secure Jimbo the #1 recruiting class in the nation?? Cry me a river, Jim.

2 Likes

He said if “If had had $25 or $35 million to recruit, I’d have a national championship team right now”.

I don’t see how they can crackdown on anything at this point with USSC ruling. CF as we knew it is dead.

Super teams with loaded donors should be able to
capture as many meaningless trophy’s as they want.

And all this craziness had to happen after we at long
last make it to the P5 level. Sad.

1 Like

Here’s a scenario: someone has 10 players on NIL contracts. However, he has racked up huge gambling losses. He tells his NIL employees that he needs for them to tank so he can recoup his losses. He’s paying them well into 6 figures. What do they do?

Think this will never happen?

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/boardroom/status/1522317797711302659?s=20&t=KlWl0SDQOyN8v5k9WJ3GQg

Yes, I could see that scenario playing out too. I mean
we are dealing with teenagers here. Can only look
forward to all the sordid stories that will come from this.
Should be entertaining to watch. I’m guessing it will
take many years before this whole arrangement comes
crashing down and they figure out how to fix it. And I don’t want to hear how the old system was just as corrupt but all under the table. Not. Even. Close.

1 Like

You smoking the good good today? You gotta be wholly lost in the sauce to think up something like that. lol

I dunno, some Vegas high rollers and gamblers may even setup some sham lawn company that goes big into NIL endorsements…and then call in the favor at the
right time.

But yes, I’ll have whatever CougarFred has
:wink:

1 Like

Nothing stopped them from doing that before NIL. A crew of gambling mafiosos could’ve approached players to entice them to tank and cut them in on the profits. Like come on… what are we really doing here?

all kinds of times we’ve heard “oh no, that will never happen!!”

Just read the newspapers. Happens all the times. Phil Mickelson had a $40M gambling debt.