Non-UH Basketball Talk - Week of 12/7

That Fort must be rather large…

GO ILLINI!!!

1 Like

This is their first year. They have a solid team with a bunch of young guys too. They could go right into competing for conference championships at D1. They were one of the better D2 programs over the last decade.

1 Like

And Tarleton State is lead by none other than…Billy Clyde.

3 Likes

Watching the Kansas game last night and they were STILL talking about how good Kentucky is gonna be in two months. It’s like they have selective memory loss. Remember when Kentucky had the Harrison twins as freshmen? That whole team was freshman, just like now, and got spanked all year.

1 Like

I have no problem with people assuming Kentucky will get better as the year goes on. A team full of freshman and one-and-done’s is probably going to struggle early on in a year like this. But ranking them now based on where you think they might end up is insane. That’s what I hate about a lot of these voting sports writers. Their rankings are not based on current reality.

5 Likes

That team with the Harrison twins went to the National Championship game.

I sure hope we get spanked all year!

1 Like

“We” or They"??? Inquiring minds want to know?

Pretty sure that was 2 years later. Team was quite a bit older.

'Member the good old Dickey days, when this board was hoping UH would hire him? Good times.

No, that Kentucky team was the one with the Harrison twins, Julius Randle, and James Young as freshmen. Went into the tourney as an 8 seed and made it to the championship.

1 Like

Billy Clyde would have been an upgrade during the Dickey days so I would have been onboard with that. He is a good basketball coach but obviously there is some non-basketball baggage there. Everything has worked out for UH after landing the Sampson family so no remorse on passing on Billy.

Naw. He wouldn’t have. He got the job at Tech and completely imploded. He would have done the same thing here. BCG would have been worse than Dickey. It probably would have been the same thing as happened at Tech. One disaster year and getting fired for not being fit to lead a program. I guess the only plus would have been moving on to the next option quicker, but that option wouldn’t have been Sampson, so that’s a lot worse.

He was my first choice followed by John Lucas (who wanted it but we didn’t consider) and then Bob Marlin (who was our backup plan but took ULala while we strung him along and has been pretty good but not great there). I was definitely wrong about wanting BCG.

1 Like

I wanted John Lucas from the Jump! NBA players love him. He was fired from Cleveland before LeBron James could get there and LeBron nearly asked to be traded before he was drafted because he wanted to play for Lucas. Former Rockets is beloved by many players and I believed He would have done wonders on Cullen BLVD.

3 Likes

Right. I was annoyed we didn’t seriously consider Luke the first time around and he seemed to badly want the job. As noted, BCG was my first choice but I would have been very, very happy getting Luke. Like you said, players love him, he had NBA experience and his TX grassroots hoops connections were as good as you could find then. His NBA record as a HC is spotty but there’s a lot of context to it and in the NBA you definitely can’t just evaluate a coach based on W-L overall. I’m not sure if it would have worked but it was worth a dice roll then for sure.

Luke was also at the top of my list when we fired Dickey, but supposedly he was less interested than the first time around and it would have taken a legitimate financial and facilities commitment to get him. Of course the second I found out Sampson was a candidate I was 110% all in on CKS and couldn’t have imagined us getting someone that good.

1 Like

Nah I’m right

I honestly believe this may be our year to win a national championship…if the season isnt destroyed by COVID.

1 Like

He looks like he’s had his head caught in the jug for too many years

Hopefully, the kidney transplant was a wake up call to live a cleaner, healthier lifestyle.

I say with 95% certainty they are going to find a way to have some form of “March Madness” this year. When, where, how, number of teams, etc. are all up in the air.

2 Likes