Not anytime soon imho

IT HURTS TO WRITE THIS BUT ITS MHO THAT UH WILL NOT
BE P5 FOR A LONG TIME. I THINK THE BIG 12 -2 IS THE BEST
PLACE FOR UH AS THERE ARE SO MANY STATE TEAMS THAT
WE HAVE A HISTORY WITH. THERE ARE NATURAL BORN TEAMS
THAT ALUMS ARE ALL AROUND US. THE LAST TIME 2016 IT WAS
OPEN FOR DISCUSSEN MOST OF THE TEAMS SAID IF UH WAS
ADMITTED THEY WOULD HAVE TOO MUCH ADVANTAGE OVER
THE OUT OF STATE SCHOOLS THAT RECRUIT IN TX.
TRYING TO GET P5 SCHOOLS TO SCHEDULE US IS VERY
HARD TO DO. WHEN I CAME TO UH IN 1954 WE PLAYED A&M,
BAYLOR. EVERY YEAR. THEY BOTH TRIED TO HELP US GET
INTO THE SWC. WE PLAYED THEM JUST ABOUT EVERY YEAR.
WE PLAYED OLD MISS, FLA. STATE, TULSA, SMU SOMETIMES
TT SOMETIMES, WHEN WE BEAT MICH STATE A LOT OF COACHES WERE ASKED IF THEY WOULD PLAY UH. MOST OF
THEM ANSWERED WHEN BILL YEOMAN RETIRES.
WHAT HURTS US IS THE POOR ATTENDANCE AT GAMES
COMPARED TO THE BIG P5 SCHOOLS. 70,000 TO 100,000
FOR THEIR GAMES. WE HAVE 40,000 SEAT STADIUM. IF WE
WERE TO GET INVITE 60,000 WOULD BE GOOD BUT NOT IN
THE 70,000 -100,000 RANGE.
IF UT AND OK GET OUT WE MIGHT GET A CHANCE TO JOIN
WHAT IS LEFT OF THE BIG 12-2. PROBABLY MORE MONIES
THAT WE GET NOW BUT LESS THAN THE BIG 12 IS BEING
PAID NOW. MOST LIKELY I WILL NOT SEE IT AS I AM 81.
SURE HOPE IT HAPPENS FOR YOU YOUNG FOLKS. GO
COOGS

5 Likes

It hurts to read this and I stopped right there.

9 Likes

Grayfox is a great coog and has eye trouble so he writes in all caps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Sorry. I’ll delete my post.

Everybody just needs to start warming up to the idea of being in the Big 12, but OU and UT not being there. Maybe OK State will be gone too, but it leaves good in state rivals and better programs than what we have now.

Would you and others be open to allowing out of state schools to enter the “NEW” Big 12?

1 Like

Sounds like a win/win! lol

Does the PAC-12 realign around the same time? I wouldn’t mind playing some of those schools. Branding would be weird though. What would you call it? The Big PAC?

EVERYONE that has graduated after 1996 I want you to understand something very clearly. Being in the AAC is not acceptable**.** We belong in a P5. The only reason why we are not in one is because of our recruiting area and the threat that it creates. uta and OK leave the small12? You can almost be sure that the small12 will lose its P5 status. Without these two the small12 is meaningless to major advertising companies. We are in Houston and have the TV ratings in our favor. This is hugely important for advertisers.
People complain about our attendance? We have made great strides. We are on track on spending $10’s to 100M’s in new facilities with greatly improved academics. Did we have the attendance in the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s? No we did not but remember that we were on and off on probation. It killed any momentum to get butts in the seats. We faced a constant onslaught and that includes our own area. Excuses you say? That is your opinion but atm and uta knew very well what they were doing with the ncaa.
That brings me to today. Close the sell with every chance that you have to sell our program to a “someone” that might think about attending a game. Please do it. A discussion centers around U of H? Sell us. You will be amazed by the ears that might be listening.
You have friends in other P5 conferences? Sell us. Again, if we all have that focus we will get some attention. We are the best ambassadors for our School.
I would like to add that I think about Gene, Eat Em Up and many others in their GOLDEN YEARS with every days that passes on being excluded from a P5. It is an insult to them and to all of us. I know I am preaching to the choir here but we only need to change one mind to get us there. Never say never. Yes, these are words but when there is a will there is way.
College football is at a cross road with increased spending, tv contracts, on line streaming and other parameters. Our leaders can’t do it alone. Keep trying, keep selling, keep punching. It is not easy being a Coog so we welcome adversity. This win will only be sweeter.
GO COOGS!!!

3 Likes

Yes, let SMU in but pick the best available programs like UCF/USF/Cincy.

We have been excluded from P5 status because we are too much of a threat to others already in that status. Yes, I am talking mainly about the Great Satan over in Austin, but there are others too; and most of them are right in our own state of Texas! They all know that if they let us compete on a level playing field, we will clean their plow.

But, one of these days, we are going to be picked up by someone else - and it won’t be a place that will tolerate the arrogance of those whorns. They will eventually be forced into independent status, and I hope they find it difficult to fill out their schedule; THAT - would be poetic justice, in my opinion!

And, when that day comes, UH will soar to heights never even dreamed of before! Some of us might have to watch from an even higher perch, but that will be OK too; we will have the best seat in the house!

2 Likes

Houston should be in the ACC or the Pac12. We are far to evolved to work with the inbred Tex10.

The ACC and the Pac12 feature cosmopolitan settings. Houston is a cosmopolitan setting. The Tex10 features rural settings.

The ACC and Pac12 have beachfront locations. UH has a beach down the road. The Tex10 is land locked.

The ACC and Pac12 feature teams with cities across the jersey. UH has a city across its jersey. The Tex10 features no cities.

We have commonality with Pitt, Louisville, Georgia Tech, UCLA, Boston College, Miami. Houston as a major city should play among its peers.

We have already divorced the teams in Texas. The divorce happened for a reason.

imo

4 Likes

I believe we are just in a holding pattern. The other P5 conferences are just waiting for the Big 12 Grants of Rights to end. Then it is a fight for UT. Once that happens, we will be next. Someone will either want us with UT as a package or someone else who loses in the UT bidding will still want a piece of the Texas market and we will be that selection.

What is most important. UH keep improving in all sports and us as fanbase, continue to focus on growing and giving back to the University. So keep pushing on this, try to get your alumni friends who don’t go today to start going and introduce friends who love college sports to our events. We need to get season tickets to continue to grow in football, basketball, baseball and softball. We need to support the other sports as well.

2 Likes

At my age I’m running out of time about picking which P5 conference would take us, or whether we just might be included in a Power Group of 64 (where I really think TV is going to force realignment to happen, leaving out a bunch of schools). The least likely scenario is that we would get picked with UT to fill out any conference. I’m only speaking from over 60-years of observation. FWIW.

In your browser, hold down the CTRL key and press +

Eye problem solved better than ALL CAPS and can join in on the interweb etiquette.

1 Like

We are definitely quacking like a P5 duck, walking like a P5 duck… only a matter of time before they call us a duck. Our facilities gap is about to be closed and all of our major programs are trending up.

3 Likes

One of two things will happen: 1)The AAC will continue to grow and get better and the TV money will at least make us competitive with the P5’s. 2) Houston gets selected to a P5 in the next round of realignment.

Either way we will be fine. This is just one guy’s opinion, I would prefer the 1st option, I like the AAC. For the first time since the SWC days I am watching other teams in the conference play when they are not playing UH. This conference is really growing on me.

4 Likes