Nwankwo

20-0 this season. District and region champion at the 285lb 5alevel and is in the semi finals in the state tournament out here in the berry center.

He won his first match in 35 seconds and had a 9-2 decision in the second match.

He was the 5a runner up (2nd) last year and state champion his sophomore year.

Amazing athlete

3 Likes
1 Like

My grandson who attends St, Johns is in the national finals this year in Pennsylvania. He is a sophomore and wrestles in the 180 class. You have to be in great shape to compete in this sport.

1 Like

I watch this kid wrestle this year at the cy fair invitational. My daughter wrestled for 4 years our year at 128 and 138. She is a type 1 diabetic so she heals slower and the blood sugar thing has been a huge hurdle, and weight cuts cannot happen. But 2 broken collar bones, 3 dislocated ribs and a dislocated knee cap later her career is over after finishing 6 at regionals. It is a tough sport.

Jim,

Ya know what’s funny? Back when I wrestled at St. John’s, we were lousy. I had literally the second best record on the team at 9 wins and 12 losses my senior season.

But NOW…SJS is the state’s dominant wrestling program, producing numerous state champions.

It’s amazing how far they have come in the last 30 years!

He wins another state title.

2 Likes

If he won the state title then this guy is in really good shape. Do you think CDH will stick with his plan of redshirting everyone even if a kid is good enough to be on the field? I know he wants to redshirt everybody, and for good reason, but we badly need defense linemen. We need to get the same turned around fast or their won’t be any fans left in the stands.

If he’s good enough to play, he can certainly play in 4 games and still red-shirt this year.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChidozieNwankw/status/1231735336163827714

2 Likes

Wow…that is a serious mound of mass muscle. Glad he’ll be on our side of the ball.

Congrats young man!

3 Likes

No doubt. His thighs are freakin’ huge. Incredible that he’s still in high school.

3 Likes

Low center of gravity and pdq!

1 Like

Would love to see him get a couple of goal line carries or be used as a “lead blocker” here and there next year. With his frame and athleticism, good luck trying to wrap this young man up.

1 Like

He is massive for a high schooler!! Too bad we don’t have a wrestling program.

2 Likes

We have a club team.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I had no clue. I guess I should say then too bad we don’t have a collegiate team :slightly_smiling_face:

Good Lord! This kid built like a tank! Looks like we have ourselves a tremendous commit!

1 Like

I’ve heard people have said that if we were to add another sport they would want to see Mens Soccer being added. While that is a good idea my personal preference has always been wrestling! With the UFC and MMA being so popular right now wrestling would only gain more popularity since wrestling is a base martial art that MMA fighters must have in order to do well.

Before the UFC came along I have read many articles about Bruce Lee touting the importance of wrestling and grappling in fighting and self defense. I was confused at the time why would an Asian guy like Bruce Lee preaching to people the importance of Greco-Roman Wrestling in the art of fighting.

He used to say that 80% of fights would eventually end in the ground, especially if both fighters are equally good at fighting on their feet. When I saw my first UFC fights back in the early 90’s with the Shamrocks and the Brazilians and those guys who were great at fighting on the ground all of those things that Bruce Lee was saying seem to a prophecy to me! All I could think of was the man was a genius and how spot on and ahead of his time he was! Everything he said was 100% true!

If UH has wrestling I would be thrilled to come see wrestling matches at the school! Way more than I would want to see soccer and about 3/4 of other sports that the school currently carries!

2 Likes

I’d add either wrestling OR lacrosse.

UH already has club teams in both.

1 Like