Offensive Coordinator

It is clear from Dawson’s track record prior to UH and at UH that he is not a good play caller. However, I do believe Holgorsen needs to stay away from calling plays himself for the team to thrive.

Since Holgorsen is very particular about who he trusts for that role, the best hope is Texas State parts ways with Jake Spavital and UH brings him in to take over. Spav did a good job calling plays for Sumlin and Holgorsen. Fingers crossed.

7 Likes

Time for a new OC, this guy is terrible

8 Likes

See the below threads. I’ve broken down more than enough plays to show play calling isnt the issue. O line needs to get better and we need to stop committing dumb penalties

6 Likes

I’ve seen enough to know Dawson should NOT be calling plays. He’s another Travis Bush and might be joining him soon if he’s not careful.

1 Like

We need an offensive playcaller who goes to war with the army we have and not the army we might want or wish to have at a later time.

I mean the roster we have.

I don’t think Dawson is the problem here. Even if he’s calling the plays, I believe he is doing so within Holgorsen’s parameters. Any replacement would do the same, likely with the same problems.

5 Likes

Play calling is always the fan’s culprit for offenses that have some problems. We had serious issues with their defensive line and blitz, and receivers other than Dell weren’t exactly playing their best. I do think the one-back straight dive is ineffective though it’s also called to mitigate the pass rush.

4 Likes

I don’t think play calling was the main problem. But I do think it was a problem.

2 Likes

There were a myriad of issues for sure. But look at offensive production since Dawson took over play calling. It is not good. Our talent level on offense has some holes but it should be more productive than it has been.

Just haven’t seen the schemes adapt the way a good coordinator would do so.

1 Like

Play calling is the problem. The O has got to fit your personnel. If can’t run then pass to loosen up the D and complement it with the run. One of the most effective plays in FB imho is the quick slant, just don’t see enough of it. Joe Montana (had a weak arm) rode too greatness using that and other outside quick routes in Bill Walsh West Coast O

3 Likes

You adjust the offense to your personnel.

2 Likes

you can’t mitigate their DL or blitz if you can’t block 'em…straight dive does/did nothing to solve problem. got to get more creative than that

1 Like

Should have been teaching Tune the 3 step drop quick pass in the off season, if you realized you have a weak O line . 3 step takes about 1.5 seconds to fire off a pass very effective. But takes good decision making by your QB

1 Like

Oh Just run a quick slant? I didn’t realize it was that easy. How do you do that against a five or six man box with five or six TVs playing press coverage? Throwing the ball to loosen the defense only works if you can actually run the ball. Tech had zero fear of us running yesterday which made us one dimensional. They were fine to give up two or 3 yards every time we run the ball. In that situation the only way to get better is for your offensive line to move people.

We ran the pop route to the outside from trips to Dell Probably five or six times. Then they start playing super aggressive on it and we called a double move the first play of the second half and almost scored. At the end of the day that only works so much. You still have to be able to run the ball

3 Likes

Agreed. Although I have always been amused when people get on the players for “not being able to block.” I mean presumably all of the guys in the OL have played football at a high level for many years. How is it that they forgot how to block now that they are on UH?

I also feel like we had this same discussion the last two years. If it keeps repeating itself, then it is something more than the players. It is a system issue. By system I mean from top down.

Never said not to run the ball. I said use the pass to loosen up the D make’em spread out. Look at the results of the west coast O it works exactly this way, they establish the pass 1st when the D is spread out, it opens up the run . Roger Craig made a living a very productive RB back in the day with the 49er’s he can probably attest to how that O made his life much easier as a RB. Also he was a good pass catcher out the backfield Just my observations. Dana ain’t reading this board for O insight. But it’s nice to share our thoughts on how to fix our offensive ineptitude. We got a very senior team age wise 22 years on average for our starters. Something got to give.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, but Tech was able to throw the ball with basically the same running attack. We had a better pass rush, but theirs was pretty good. Their offense adjusted to our defense better than we did to theirs, and that shouldn’t happen. Maybe the coaches did make the adjustments and the players failed to execute, but I’m not ready to believe there was simply nothing that could be done to overcome the OL because Tech literally do exactly that (and they had more turnovers, too).

1 Like

Board is probably a little different if Sneed, Dell, and Golden don’t drop their TD passes.

1 Like

Our run game was the same? Dud Ill go find the clip from the play after 4th and 20. Their o-line drives us back 10 yards!! Our guys legit never did that once

Same way with tackling on defense? They have been playing football since pee wee, why do coaches have to teach a D1 player how to tackle, mind blowing with all the dam arm tackles!!

2 Likes