Old video versus Auburn

Coog 51. The Buffs’ fake punt did us in. We were coming back, had all the momentum and had stopped them on defense.

2 Likes

Thank you. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed watching that. I was a kid, at that time, but I loved the AFL and the Houston Cougars. I know the Auburn players and fans were thinking holy cow, who are these guys. Those were good times.

1 Like

That makes sense as I had a co worker who was an LSU grad. He was super pissed as to what happened.

Thanks for reminding me of actual events.

Hoss Brock… what a total tool !!

1 Like

Strong and Teddy Heiskel were quite a backfield behind Mullins.

2 Likes

Had to be considering you had Robert Newhouse as a backup!

2 Likes

One of my favorite Cougar memories. Many were saying that at end of the year, Auburn was the best team in the SEC, and that we had no chance. Guess we show’d 'em.

2 Likes

And did anyone have a better pair of tight ends than Riley Odoms and Earl Thomas?
Not only was Gator a backup but so was Tommy Mosiesk

3 Likes

Strong had a great year. He always had potential, and then suddenly in his senior year the lights came on. His field vision was better and he was running away from defenders with his deceptive speed.

L. D. Rowden and Nick Holm were one of the best pairs of safeties in Cougar history.

And at Linebacker, Glen Graef was a beast.

1 Like

Look at the number of future NFL draft choices that suited up for the good guys in this game. One of the myths surrounding coach was that he won with inferior talent. That simply isn’t true. We had very good players.

2 Likes

No doubt one of the best Coog teams of all time finishing the season with nine straight wins.
AA Bill Bridges led the OL and Charlie Hall was also a great linebacker and had a long career with the Browns.

3 Likes

For the younger crowd, the quarterback for Auburn was Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan. He and Terry Beasley made a great passing combo - “Sullivan to Beasley”.

By the end of the year, we were as good as any team in the country.

4 Likes

Jim had the unfortunate circumstance of playing behind arguably one of the best RBs in UH history, Paul Gipson. Interestingly he was bookended by the 2 best - Gipson and Newhouse

2 Likes

Interesting things about the quarterback position: If you look at Gary Mullin’s runs, you will see that he was quick and decisive. Don’t believe for a second that “he couldn’t run”. I will agree that after his devastating knee injury in the varsity/alumni spring game, he was limited.

We were also 3 deep at quarterback. Former starter Ken Bailey was the backup at a healthy 6-4, and lefty Rusty Clark (the passer of the group) was no. 3. Clark was talented enough to warrant being drafted in the NFL draft.

1 Like

I was a freshmen in h.s.when I went to that game! It just seemed like another game in the dome when the Coogs beat up another opponent! The year before we beat Tulsa 100-6, l felt like I memorized the Astrometric scoreboard. During those years few teams could really stay with us! Nobody could stop the “veer” consistently. In the mid sixties on we were always one of the top offenses in the country!

3 Likes