OOC scheduling

It wouldn’t suck, PROVIDED that the rest of our OOC schedule consisted of either ranked teams, high-profile programs, or high-profile tournaments.

Might generate a lot of local interest, actually!

2 Likes

My point exactly UHLaw. Have it at our place, generate local interest, make money…

1 Like

As long as it isn’t more than 2 games, it wouldn’t hurt our SOS too much. We play/played Rice anyway and will always have one other bad team at minimum on the schedule. We would have to be hosts with all the games at the Fertitta or at least a guarantee that both our games are home games.

France played better defense against Germany in WW2 than HBU played against UH this past season

4 Likes

There’s no local interest for something like that. St. Joe’s is a historically solid program, even though they have had a bad few years. La Salle isn’t great but they are generally a .500-ish program in a decent conference. Nova and Temple are historically good programs. Penn is one of the better programs in the Ivy league which is one of the better one bid conferences. Much better than the SWAC.

The reason the Philly thing gets some interest is because it really is a city championship where everyone goes to each others gyms. There’s no chance whatsoever we’re going to fill up our OOC road games with a bunch of road games against teams in the 200’s and 300’s. Rice is fine every other year but that’s enough. Our other road games this year were at South Carolina and Oregon. Dropping one of those to play at HBU would be idiotic.

If we had TSU come to our gym this year instead of Alcorn State that’s fine. But no one would care that we played all the Houston teams this year at Fertitta Center other than like 5 people on this board.

There are plenty of other metro areas besides Philly and none of them do this.

5 Likes

Here’s a link to the City Tournament thread

I still stand by my suggestion to do a small tournament with other big city universities (UCLA, Miami, San Diego State, etc…)

4 Likes

I totally forgot we played HBU. Guess that shows how memorable a Houston championship would be.

3 Likes

Horrible idea not much interest in seeing any of those teams

4 Likes

That thread covered most of it. Thanks for linking.

If in a few years our program is at the same spot it is now and somehow Rice is regularly in the mix for an at-large bid, TSU is consistently head and shoulders above the rest of the SWAC with NET/KenPom rankings in the 120-150’s and getting 13 seeds instead of 16 seeds and HBU does the same with the Southland then I think a “city championship” like Philly could be pretty cool and could generate some interest. Until that happens (which it won’t) then there’s really no point.

1 Like

I was trying to remember when Illinois came to town. When I see that it was February 1985, I understood why I had not recalled the time! I do agree on Sparty (or any team from the Big Ten).

And it would weaken the schedule.

That was the game with the “screamer”.

2 Likes

She was in the club, right in front of where I am in 104. In times of silence, it still haunts me.

6 Likes

But remember . . . . . HBU had “da screama” going for them . . . . . As I understand it, she is the daughter of one of the assistant coaches . . . . .

Cannot say I like that too much. She can stay in her arena and scream like that

hypotheticals aside, anyone got any dirt on the schedule? lots of schedule talks for other teams on the web

these are the only ones i know to date:
rice (at home)
holiday tournament
sourtth carolina (at home)- part of SEC/AAC alliance

1 Like

Been pretty silent all around this off-season. The Goodwin info is the only thing I have seen. Man we need an insider bad lol.

2 Likes

would love to see UH get a big time neutral site game. would also like a big time home and home

1 Like

Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, UCLA, Arizona, Georgetown??.