Oregon State Booted From Hotel

This isn’t going to cause more rioting in Portland is it?

4 Likes

The press is not interested in giving the whole story, just trying to make a controversy and create animosity. They may be able to milk it for more hits and future articles.

6 Likes

Yeah, sounds bad but I would like to hear the whole story from people actually involved. let’s face it, Yahoo is not a legitimate new source.

1 Like

Since this is an NBC story, I tend to doubt every word !!

1 Like

Bunch of knuckle heads

This is how the NCAA rolls. When we played in Spokane in 2010 I went with the travel party. If I remember correctly, we were the first of the evening games in Spokane which means we started around 7:30 Houston time I think. We were told to be ready to pack up and leave right after the game if we lost. By the time the game ended, the team did press, showered, got back to the hotel to get our things and then get on the flight it was super late and we lost two hours. Pretty sure the sun was up when we landed in Houston the next morning.

2 Likes

Well, I have spent a bazillion nights in hotels around the world for business and pleasure, and I can tell you that if you leave the hotel at say 10 pm, you get charged the same as if you had stayed until 8 am the next day.

So what possible point is the NCAA trying to make? Did they have some kind of goofy hourly billing arrangement with the hotel? Even if they did, suck it up and let the kids sleep. Sheesh. NCAA is short for stupidest people on earth.

1 Like

Balls!!

Programs usually have this stuff locked down. If we win we re-charter. Its a fee paid ahead of time to basically reserve the plane indefinitely. The coordinator touches base with the plane’s FBO the day of the game. “If…then…”

It happens in sports and business thousands of times a day. There are charter companies salivating to sit in the FBO and collect a reserve fee. And most have a built-in agreement. “We need 8 hrs lead time to get the plane there with fuel.” Meaning, if you lose tonight we pick you up at 9am…or whatever.

How does this this get fouled up. Me thinks someone dropped the ball on the OSU side. Plus there are potential liabilities for forcing large groups to travel overnight on short notice. I don’t think the NCAA or hotel would do it.

In 2010, one reason we told we had to leave early is because the NCAA charters X number of planes for the entire tourney. So the plane we were on (or Maryland, if UH won) had to take either one of us back home because the NCAA was going to use that plane to pick up X team in some midwest/east location the next day. That doesn’t really explain Oregon State’s situation unless they planned on using that same plane to pick up a losing Elite 8 the text day. Drop Oregon State off at the crack of dawn, fly back in Indy and pick up Michigan or USC. Sounds nuts, but this wouldn’t surprise me at all.

No one dropped the ball on the OSU side for this. For basketball, the NCAA tells you who is picking you up and how you are getting home. If it was football, yes OSU would have dropped the ball, but not this.

1 Like

Well, yea. If the NCAA is the travel office they can do what they want. I expect there was some poor planning.