Orlando Sentinel 130 Team Countdown - Coogs 56th

Yep, I agree that this will be a down year for the east. However, the way I see it is that the dominoes could be aligned just right for USF to knock them all down. Aside from their Nov. 4th date, I think it’ll be a cakewalk for them.

As for the 3 game stretch (UH, Tulsa, UCF), I don’t think it’ll end up being such a juggernaut. I don’t see it being as simple as “plug n play” for Tulsa. They lost a very good QB and a couple key big play receivers. Although they will have a damn good OL, I see Tulsa taking one step backwards for a year as I think they’ll struggle to put points on the board against quality defenses. I don’t see them giving USF much of a game. Nor do I see it with UCF this year. I think they are also a year, or two, away for reasons mentioned in a previous post. I think we are the only legitimate threat on their path, and we obviously are not in the east division so It’s USF’s for the taking.

I also agree with you in that CS could rise from the ashes, so to speak. USF is a much better fit for him than UT was. He is in very fertile recruiting grounds and kids tend to trust the guy. I could see Strong doing really well at South Florida and then, after a few years, moving on to Florida State or some SEC program out that way. I don’t think his stop at Texas will end up being indicative of CCS’s head coaching abilities. At all. As you alluded to, with a good OC in place, he’ll continue to climb.

With all that said, I get all the hype in regards to USF. They make me really nervous. Especially if they find a rb who even approaches Mack’s ability, which will take some pressure off of Flowers, making him all the more dangerous. Strong will assemble a “strong” defense. USF is a little more like us in that they get the kids who were snubbed by bigger programs, who are not entitled s*#%s, and therefore have a chip on their shoulders. UT was too white collar for blue collar Strong to succeed. USF is the opposite. Also of note, USF’s team speed is going to be eye opening. Of course some things have to come together for them to be as good as advertised, but if those things do come together, watch out. Now that I’ve made them sound similar to our 2015 Coogs, I hope I’m dead wrong about them!!!

Here’s Arizona, just need USF now…this seems high for a team that only had 3 wins last year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-2017-college-football-rankings-arizona-0721-story.html

Outlook: The program finds itself at a bit of a crossroads. Arizona never got off to the kind of start that it wanted last season and the Wildcats never made up ground. The offense was too one dimensional in 2016 and must find more consistency at the quarterback position. Injuries hampered the defense and lack of depth at some positions could still be a concern. A quick start is almost a necessity, especially considering a November slate that features road games against USC, Oregon and Arizona State.

Last team with ties to the Cougars this season:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-2017-college-football-rankings-usf-0726-story.html

Outlook: Strong, Flowers and the rest of the Bulls know they will be targeted by AAC teams eager to knock off the team projected to win the league title. While the players were thrilled by an 11-win season, the inability to win a conference title leaves many of the veteran USF players highly motivated to realize expectations and win big this season. While he took over a talented and deep squad, Strong and his staff should have no trouble keeping the roster stocked thanks to the former long-time UF defensive coordinator’s strong recruiting ties in the state of Florida.