OT: Dangerous & TOXIC Culture | UH Softball

I know what you mean and I don’t disagree with you. However, Herman was gone after 2 good years.

if Dana had 2 back to back championship appearances, then it would be pretty crazy to say he wouldn’t receive any P2 offers at the time

He may have but he certainly wasn’t when he gave him that huge buyout. We were banking on him repeating something he did once in three years against a pretty awful schedule.

It was a really bad and unnecessary bet. We way overpaid with the buyout in that extension.

I agree. It was a bad decision to give him a buyout.

I’m just saying, from the perspective of UH admins/Pez, you can kinda see why they did that despite it not being justified.

If they didn’t give Dana a buyout, then how would Dana feel in terms of if he feels the school is buying into him?

If he hadn’t gone 12-1, then yeah, a buyout wouldn’t have been justified under any circumstance.

Point is, admins probably expected some sort of continuity going into the Big 12, and they didn’t want to risk losing the momentum by someone poaching Dana (had he been successful)

It’s possible that had he not received the buyout, he would’ve gave more effort following the 12-1 season. His buyout was his safety net (and still is to this day)

1 Like

I think that is very possible.

Imagine if Cincinnati didn’t have a season of a lifetime and we won the AAC championship along with the NY6 bowl game.

His buyout and extension would have been insane.

1 Like

Well… his contract was automatically up for negotiation because of the Big 12 invite alone

Defeating Auburn and the excitement around that time probably led to emotional/impulsive decision making by Pez/Admins to extend and also put in the buyout

12-1 is not easy… regardless of the schedule.

Everything with Dana’s contract was merely just weird timing and circumstance. If Dana had defeated Texas, he would still be UH head coach right now

4 Likes

I think we would have beaten everyone except for Ohio State, Utah, or Oklahoma State in the 2021 NY6 bowl games.

That’s if we didn’t have any hold outs on our end and also take care of business vs Cincinnati.

By no means did that team deserve to be in a NY6 game. The 2021 team was deeply fraudulent. They had just about the easiest schedule the AAC could have thrown at them, and still almost tripped over their own feet a couple times in conference play.

2 Likes

The 2015 Peach Bowl team needed some luck with an NFL Super Bowl champ kicker missing for Memphis and a crucial Lamar Jackson interception against Louisville.

Every great team will have a loss or near loss here and there regardless of how easy the schedule was.

1 Like

Well you got your wish

https://x.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1807920638885351824?t=kWW0zNE94qbtFy97YkQ9Jw&s=19

Lmao Pez extended Ves for a year

4 Likes

I don’t get it. If it wasn’t fully executed, then why is there a requirement to finalize the agreement. Not a lawyer, but seems nothing should be in effect unless both parties sign and complete. Otherwise parties can sign a version of a draft that is not acceptable and claim the agreement is in effect.

WOW smh

I’m guessing that would have to be settled in court. The fact that Pez signed and agreed to it and then seemingly acted like it was executed (ie allowed Ves to continue coaching), I wouldn’t expect it to be a slam dunk to just say there was no contract because the UH general counsel didn’t sign it.

Wait, what?

son of a gun for doing that. What a failure he has been over the last couple of years extending mediocre and losing coaches in baseball, women basketball, and now softball.

This was in 2023, before the entrance to the B12. The contract was executed on June 25th.

That team won 11 in a row by no less than 7 points.

They were far from fraudulent, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Dumb take.

1 Like

11 in a row against almost literally the weakest schedule the AAC could have thrown at them in an overall down year for the conference. And even then they needed OT to beat ECU and a walkoff kick return to beat SMU. If they hadn’t had Cincinnati in their conference, they basically would have been 2023 Liberty, and likely would have met a similar fate in their NY6 game.