OT-FOR THOSE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED No longer Coog57

Because to technical problems I’ve had on our site I’ve had to change my handle again from originalcoog57 (which represented the year I entered U of H and first became a Cougar) to Coog63 (the year I graduated from law school).
I haven’t been able to post for awhile but I am now back and would proudly like to share my grandson’s HUDL highlights. His team SJS is undefeated. He plays quarterback but has been recruited as an athlete/strong safety. His outstanding grades led to offers from several Ivy League universities.He has committed to Brown University.

6 Game Highlights

29 Likes

Good for him Jim, he can’t go wrong with a degree from Brown. Is he planning on carrying on the Perdue family lawyer banner?

1 Like

Mike: None of my grandsons have indicated any interest in a legal career. John aspires to enter business in some capacity. My oldest is looking at medicine(biotechnology) and my youngest is fascinated with computers and technology so I do have a lot of bases covered. Thanks for asking.

Congratulations to you and your grandson.

I had to change mine as well Jim to delmarmared1

1 Like

Looks good in the highlights. Cmon Coogfans who is ready to sign this kids coach so we can get him to come to UH.

1 Like

Well, a business degree from Brown is a dang good head start. I wish him well in his endeavors.

Congratulations, Jim!

Jim,
I am glad to see you back ! Please keep us posted on grandson.

Go grab that coog63 Twitter handle as well

3 Likes

You will always be :57

40 years ago I spent my first college year in Providence. A much, much, different part of Providence than Brown. The part that Brown students will never see.

I was lying on my back in some seedy alleyway faced up on a sheet of ice and said God, take me to Houston.

Again, not the beautiful picturesque Providence along the Narragansett.

1 Like

My last home port was Quonset Point, RI and I would go into Providence regularly. I went to a different part of Providence as well. I would also go down to Boston occasionally, but didn’t hang around Harvard either. There was an area called the combat zone where a lot of us sailors would frequent. After all, we had a reputation to live down to.

3 Likes

In the 1980s downtown Providence was pretty downtown.

My fun was to go to the Dog Track in Lincoln, RI

I went to one race at the Narragansett race track. At that time my home port was in Norfolk, but I went up to Providence with my buddy who was from there. He was from the tough side; his dad was a bookie and his mom played bingo. That’s how they made their living. His dad gave him a sheet to bet on and we went to the races.

Upon entering, I picked a program up off the floor and it was turned to the 7th race. The 7th horse in the 7th race was a horse named “Sweep the Deck.” Well I thought that was a sign and went to the windows to make a bet and went to the one with no line. My buddy laughed at my pick saying it was a nag and look at the odds. He also laughed when I found out that I had bet to place, which I didn’t know I did, but that was the window I went to.

Well, his horse wouldn’t get into the starting gate and sweep the deck placed 2nd. My $10 bet got me about $200 dollars – more than a month’s pay. Not bad from a guy that just rode in on a turnip truck and had no idea about horse racing.

5 Likes

Well, it looks like your grandson has better touches on his throws than you know who… based on his highlights anyway. I like the fact that his long throws are done in a way that only his receivers could catch the ball and not thrown behind or thrown in between the receiver and the defender, basically turning it into a 50/50 proposition.

1 Like

COOGSTER: I appreciate those positive comments. John doesn’t think he will play quarterback, at least at the beginning. The starting Q-back for Brown played at BC before he transferred. I do believe he has the potential down the line to play Q-back but he loves defense. And the coaches have told him on defense he will be a starter next year. As his highlights show he is a tough young man.
His father as a youngster got to meet CBY many ties and I just wish John could have had that privilege.
MIKE: I love your stories. You are a good storyteller.

2 Likes

Jim and Delmarred,
Why did y’all have to change your names here at CF?

Fireman 451: Complicated but essentially I could not get on with my primary e-mail so I had to use a secondary.

Recommendation to All: Go to Account/Preferences & Add a secondary email to your Coogfans account NOW — it will allow you recover if/when you lose access to your primary email

Use any email you can access to reply to the confirmation email that’s sent when you add it – it could be your wife’s, etc.

Also recommend having least one {non-Work / non-Cable Co. / non-Phone Co. / non-ISP} email on the account so when you switch jobs or Internet services you don’t lose access.

Examples of Cable, Phone, or ISP emails that you lose when you change services are: myName@sbcglobal.net, @att.net, @comcast.net, etc.

Examples of good choices would be gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

1 Like

Jim Fantastic feelings when the children & grandchildren excel at their pursuits. Especially satisfying when they excel in their educational efforts knowing the longterm value of a great education. Congratulations!

2 Likes