OT: John Perry version of Cougar Fight Song

2 Likes

Appreciate it, but the version I am referring to was not a live stadium version, but was probably recorded in the band hall. There were no chants. It was better quality.

I know @Woodedge has done quite a few deep dives into early UH history over in the UH History board, maybe he’s seen or heard something? I know he detailed an early UH (formerly HJC) fight song that was basically a copy of UMaine.

1 Like

I believe the 9th track on the Soundcloud site is what you’re looking for. These are all studio recordings - not live stadium tracks.

Oldest one I have is from a record produced by the UH Concert Band back in the 60’s.
]

5 Likes

Sadly, not the version I am looking for. It exists on tape somewhere, back when they used tape. I tried contacting the UH Band Director years ago, but never received a response.

I have the recording studio recording of the UH Fight Song. I played trombone in the recording session. Send me a message and I’ll figure out how to send it to you.

I have a few versions that I’ll be able to post. I think mine are from the 1970s-1998. I also have UT’s homage that I’m fond of. Will post in a bit.

HJC’s earliest song is a a rewording of Maine’s Stein Song which is their fight song.

That was freakin awesome. I think that they should incorporate some subtle flutes into today’s version. Weirdly, it kind of reminds me of the burnt orange’s school’s a little bit.

Here’s the quick and dirty of what I’ve found:

Spring 1930: Junior College Song
It’s UMaine’s “Stein Song” with words by Alice and Bobbie McCullough

Fall 1932: For HJC is written, but I can’t find any links to songs. It’s supposed to be an original tune by Bernice Branum and A. Gordon Jones.

Fall 1946: Cougar Fight Song was composed by the UH “Co-Ed Club” members: (sophomore) Marion Edwin Ford, Jr ('49) and (freshman) Forest Roland Fountain ('49).

1950s UH Music Instructor, Ed Gerlach ('46 SHSU) and his Big Band from Texas orchestra made a popular big band version. The UH SOH band played it at a performance in 2010.

I’ve never heard the arrangement (love for someone to pick up the Gerlach album for archiving purposes!), but I believe it might be this version can be heard in the 1955 Audio Yearbook in this video around 2:48:

1950s John Perry, an accounting student, who contracted polio also composed a version, but I can’t any info of him or the song. I do find an Irene Perry who was studying accounting at the time (1951-1954).

1962 Recording - UH’s Concert Band recorded “Campus Songs of the Southwest” which, I believe, @UHRedCat’s recording is from

1972 - UT records “Longhorn Band Salutes the Southwest Conference”

• They use an arrangement by famous composer, Jerry Bilik, a Michigan alum. I didn’t know Bilik is a Wolverine, but for the years I’ve heard this song: I’ve always thought of parts of Hail to the Victors. I truly enjoy this arrangement of the CFS, except parts at the end.

Nice montage video of the UH Marching Band (1969, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1977)

1977 - Cougar Marching Band recording from “Sounds of the Southwest”

1977 - Cougar Brass records an album

1979 - Cougar Brass records a second album

1982 - Recording from SMU’s Southwest Jazz [least favorite - kill it with fire :fire:]

1996 - The Spirit of Houston Cougar Marching Band Album released -
(@Sideline’s posting)

Late 90s Recording - I think this was pulled from the UHAA website from back when I was in school

Early '00s Recording (I think) - basically, a cleaner version of the late 90s one (what was used in EA Sports NCAA games from back in the day)

2002 - The Oregonian (newspaper) ranked UH’s fight song #7

Early 2000s recording incorporating the “C-O-U-G-A-R-S” spell out:

Segue: 1982 Also had “Bobby and Arleen Harden” recorded “Country Cougar” album in Nashville of one-off songs.

• I’ve never heard it, but if it’s like the Penn State album: it’s not great.

Quick history on the Band:

Out of all the bands in Texas, UH has always been the most Big10 influenced because of Dr. Bill Moffit coming from Michigan State. I’m glad I got to meet him and have him conduct us at one of the games in Fall 2004.

5 Likes

I like that way of playing the fight song. Sounds more traditional in my opinion. Wouldn’t mind us going back to it

The Oregonian called our fight song the best of the SWC. That’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who posted the fight song. Not there yet; I am still looking for the version used in the 1960s and 1970s. It was the only version used in television and radio during that time, but before everything became digital. I am hoping it will turn up somewhere.

Can someone pin this at the top? Eric, first time to look at all the work you have done. Very much appreciated. I would like to be able to keep up with all your work on the history of our great university.

1 Like

Yep, that was it.

@UHRedCat is my new hero! That is the version I have spent years searching for.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Is there a way to play it from that link?

Watching all those old clips of the band from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s brought major nostalgia to me. They marched and performed. Oh how I wish the current Spirit of Houston would march and perform like that.

Not from the link posted by @Woodedge that I’m aware of. I have a turntable that will transfer music from a record and make it an MP3. It has been so long since I’ve used it (10+ years), I’m not even sure it will work with modern laptops. “Campus Songs of the Southwest” was one album I made a complete copy of.

Update: I was right, company website says the player isn’t compatible with Windows 11.

A buddy saw this thread and wanted me to post for him : he has the 45 RPM version from the 80’s. He got it from Don’s Record Store in Bellaire 1983.

Nate

3 Likes