OT: LSU qb leaves football and keeps all of his NIL money

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1559227004607676421

Made off like a bandit. I love to see the players have control over the sponsors that profit off of them.

6 Likes

Wow that’s amazing!

I wonder if school admins/NIL groups will push more strongly for some form of legislation if this continues to happen at a greater rate.

After all, little to no ROI is what made Miami’s Mr. Ruiz pull back on NIL a little bit.

2 Likes

Did they all pay him up front? Regardless, they gave him the deals because of his name. You see it a lot with pro endorsements when star players fall off and are still getting money/commercials even though they are riding the bench. Companies might start making it a requirement they play in a certain number of games to hit a bonus or something. If they are paying most of it up front, that is on them if they were really expecting something other than the initial press.

He still has a name, image, and likeness which can be used by whoever is on the other side of the deals. It is his name, his image, his likeness. A lawsuit to recover the money would be admitting pay-to-play. We know it is, but the fiction has to be maintained.

2 Likes

It would be funny if the companies started punking his name and likeness.

6 Likes

He took the money without doing anything.

1 Like

This is why I think NIL will eventually level itself out. The NFL eventually got first round salary camps after too many number one busts. The NBA stopped drafting high school kids after Kwame brown. Eventually enough teams will shell out an outrageous amount for a kid, get burned, and either legislation will fix it or the free market will

5 Likes

What in the World are thgs coming to. :smile::grin:.

1 Like

“Myles Brennan may be a quitter, but your Richards Ford won’t leave you stranded!”

26 Likes

Love it

1 Like

The Brennan name has some cache in NOLA. Heck, it has some in Houston. There’s a Brennan’s on Smith St.

2 Likes

Yeah take the money and run. Serves ‘em right lol. Stunts like this might slow down all the idiocy of recruiting pros

1 Like

His great grandfather opened the original Brennans on Bourbon and founded The Krewe of Bacchus.

1 Like

:joy::joy::rofl::rofl:

Definite NOLA clout…

If you have an interest:
@ 5:25 to @ 16:45 Matt Moscona on ESPN-BR sums up a wild run for Brennan.

1 Like

Wonder if Dire Straits could make a song from this?

I want my, I want my NIL

9 Likes

This is the type of thing that will cause NIL to come back to the center. No business will survive giving their money away. Its anathema to the whole concept. People work hard at those businesses to make their companies successful and profitable. This type of thing makes everyone angry.

If I’m a low-level staffer there I’d be asking if the money might better have gone to the employees, a nicer break room, or some other feature that makes the enterprise a more enjoyable and productive place.

3 Likes

Literally Money for nothing lol

3 Likes
2 Likes