OT: NFL playoffs

That Bills-Chiefs game was great and so was the Rams-Buccaneers game. But the Chiefs-Bills game was tops. Back and forth, back and forth. 25 points in the last 2 minutes; amazing. Josh Allen had a hell of a game and so did Mahomes. It just doesn’t seem fair for both teams not to have a chance on offense. That’s kind of like if the visitors score in the top of the 10th, the home team doesn’t get a chance to bat. Stupid.

I am looking forward to two good conference championship games next weekend. The fact that Burrow survived 9 sacks and still led the Bengals to a win yesterday was another jaw dropper. The QB play in 3 of the 4 games was just plain great.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, the visitors won each of the first three games this weekend, with only KC winning at home . . . . . Very Interesting . . . . .

Home field advantages are interesting. Logic would lead you to believe that baseball would have the largest home field advantage because the stadium dimensions are different and the home team’s pitching staff is built towards the their home stadium. But it has the smallest.

Why the NBA has a large home field court advantage is beyond me. Other than life on the road as an NBA player leaves the players tired.

Best playoffs in a long time! If you turned off the Bucs game early, you missed an exciting ending. Ohhh, I love football!

10 Likes

Yeah me too. I just love football.

I really like basketball and baseball but football is a love affair for me.

3 Likes

Agree, especially on how the Bills offense was unstoppable in the fourth quarter. It is a stupid rule that hopefully will be adjusted in the off season. We see it every year on how important CB play is. I am still not “sold” on Stafford but the Rams do look the more “balanced” team for me. Their fourth quarter “meltdown” will be a major lesson going into their 49ers game that they have not beat in a while. Should the Bills have kicked so the Chiefs had to return? Monday morning QB’s sure think so and I have to agree. Easy to say after the facts. I am hugely impress by Josh Allen. He is 6’.5" and runs this good? His vision, decision making, touch is absolutely outstanding. He is going to have to learn to slide forward. He can’t keep running forward like a RB. He will get injured if he keeps doing it. Mahomes is even getting better. Did you all notice this year on how he adjusted his running? Burrow? and we had Rogers and Brady. I can’t remember one playoff weekend with that types of overall exceptional QB play.

Bills v Chiefs was the only game where I actually sat and watched the majority. For a game like that to end in OT, with no chance for the Bills to score, is an abomination. Almost felt like the coin toss would decide the winner. Hopefully the league will change the rules.

2 Likes

Yep, the college game has the fairest approach to
overtime. What was the NFL owners thinking when
they setup the coin toss as the most important play.

1 Like

The OT rule for The NFL is completely unfair and must be changed. The randomness of a coin flip can, and does, determine the winner.

The Owners and Players should be outraged over this stupid rule.

3 Likes

Not aimed at you, TC, but if you win the game in the regulation 60 minutes, you don’t have to worry about the overtime rule . . . . .

I really don’'t think college makes sense for the NFL. Both defenses were gassed at the end. Keep in mind, they have 57 total players. That game would have continued back and forth for as long as they want, kinda like LSU/A&M.

There’s no good answer but I think it’s best for the NFL. Both defenses were mannequins at the end. All Buffalo had to do was hold them to a field goal. They couldn’t do it.

Besides I needed to go to bed.

The NFL should play a complete overtime period, either 10 or 15 minutes. If not that, then something like college does. A flip of the coin should NEVER determine the outcome of a game.

1 Like

You could simply add 5 minutes to the game clock and go on playing.

Just do something, anything.

The Bills Defense was awful but the NFL needs to fix it’s coin toss advantage overtime. It’s not that hard to fix so that both teams get at least one possession.

For the life of me will never understand “prevent” defense

1 Like

Totally agree with prevent defense being nonsensical. Another “tactic” which is unbelievable at the NFL coaching level are passing plays when all that is needed is to run the clock out. Rams were guilty of that yesterday on their third to last possession, had to punt and gave Brady enough time for two drives. The most egregious example which I can recall was the Falcons Patriots Super bowl. That loss was entirely on the offensive coordinator/ play caller.

That could be said for either team. Ties happen and there should be some rules that allow each team a shot on offense, regardless of TD or FG.

1 Like

Many rules in football, and I’m sure other sports, need to be revised to make things more fair. One example I’m thinking about is when a player crosses the goal line, it is an immediate touchdown, but when a receiver catches he ball in the end zone, but then drops the ball when exiting the end zone, or when hitting the ground & it dislodges, it is not considered a touchdown. Possession, even momentarily, is possession. How about 1 foot down then out of bounds for a receiver. If he has the ball and touches down in bounds, should it count? Lots of inconsistencies in sports rules. All games should be “neutral site” games so no team has an advantage. Rules are rules, fair or foul. We live by and play by the rules. Someone decided that was to be the rule. If that somebody does not like the rule, then they can change it.

Worst overtime ever. The unfairness ruined the game for me.

I really dislike the college overtime, because it’s not football, it’s a scrimmage. I like the NFL rule much better, but can certainly understand the desire to give both teams a chance with the ball. Of course I’m in the minority in that I think the NFL should do away with overtime in the regular season. A tie is a perfectly legitimate result, and the players don’t need more contact. Maybe come up with a better playoff overtime method, though.