OT: The Multiple Times Houston almost got Invited to the SEC

You guys are going to torture yourselves.

Its like when your HS teacher said he would help you get into the Physics program at Princeton. You declined thinking service station miniature golf courses were the wave of the future. Your mortal enemy became a famous physicist and took the smoking hot exchange student from Morelia, Mexico with him.

Now you can’t drive by a Chevron without crying and when you go to homecoming in your hometown you have the urge to set the new Science building on fire.

We got to let it go and make our own future.

4 Likes

Georgia Tech and Tulane both left the SEC in the 60’s.

1 Like

I will add that Mr. Yeoman was very good friend with the utau coach at the time. This is what triggered our invitation to the SWC. Shortly after the utau pimp that was on vacation blew up with.
“What the !@#$l are you doing?”
Shortly after the ncaa utau pimp paid goons knocked on our door.
This is where we are today.
If this connection did not exist I would not be surprised one bit that we would have gone to the SEC.

Maybe I ought to start a thread entitled, “The times I almost dated Sophia Loren.”

3 Likes

Well, we all know THIS actually had a chance. :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, I know I didn’t have a chance; my wife wouldn’t let me. I’m taken, Sophia would just have to eat her heart out – if she actually knew who I was.

2 Likes

In light of recent reports, it only took us 30 years to recover from that vacation to Padre.

Not true. According to DKR they were ‘concerned’ at the fast growth of UH football as an independent. Getting them into the SWC gave UT a lot of control over UH. UH fans were ecstatic as they longed for UT & AM approval.

We very clearly have middle/illegitimate child syndrome when it comes to our pecking order of the state… (A&M/UT big brother, Baylor is the baby, Tech is the lovable mess up)

I agree that by 1968 we were certainly a hot contender that could have been coveted by any conference.
But if you remember at that time we were playing SEC schools like Ole Miss, Georgia, Mississippi State, Alabama, Florida, etc. but the SEC was really not interested in us because we had black athletes.
I remember making trips to Ole Miss, Florida and Florida State as a school reporter, but what I remember most from 1967-'69 was the way we were treated because we had black athletes.
Things changed quickly but SEC teams began dropping us off their schedules as quick as they could. The SEC at the peak of our greatness as an athletic program was not going to be a good fit…

Yep, you are correct.

It is also hard to explain to people who weren’t around in 60’s and the 70’s is that the SWC was the best football conference on the planet.

The Big 10 had 2 or 3 schools that were any good. The Pac 8 had UCLA and USC and that is it. The Big 8 was pretty good. The SEC was considered beneath the SWC and were considered racist and backwards. The SEC had Bama and the Bear.

The SWC had Texas, Houston, Arkansas, Texas A&M all of whom could and did finish in the top 10. Tech had some great teams and if you caught Baylor or SMU on the wrong night they would beat you. Baylor had some sneaky good teams. TCU and Rice sucked.

I don’t remember the SEC being the cream-of-the-crop even in the early 90’s, but I was a new cfb fan at the time.

Couldn’t agree more…our tie (we should have won) game in Austin in 1968 for whatever reason convinced DKR and UT that we needed to be in the SWC.
The SWC no doubt was the strongest conference overall in the '60s and '70s…

Those were the days. Great football and what was cool is every school had a certain type of fan that associated with each school.

Baylor had the church going crowd
A&M had the rural fan
SMU was the rich kids
Tech was the west Texas oil patch people
Arkansas had well people from Arkansas
TCU and Rice had very few fans
Houston had the blue collar and African American fans
Texas had the low life sorry arse low down and high smelling short horse SOB fans. I guess those people needed a team to cheer for as well.

3 Likes