Pac 12 has to make a move now

You think there’s a world in which the gap in TV revenue is going to close between the Pac and SEC in the next 15 years? If there was such a world I think its ending with this UT move. A&M did well to get on the life raft. If they jump it will be looked back on as a Tulane type move. Just swallow your pride. Or leave and be replaced with Baylor in like an instance.

I don’t think taking Texas Tech alone will give them foot print in Texas. Maybe New Mexico. They will need to take Tech, OSU and UH if they want to get eyeballs and recruits from the State of Texas.

2 Likes

I highly doubt that ever happens but even if it does, how would having Texas Tech in the PAC prevent this? Tech/OSU and whoever aren’t adding any money per team to the PAC. They aren’t competing against the SEC or Big 10 by adding some programs that have been tagalongs to UT/OU. It would be a panicked move.

The PAC12 has no vision and hasn’t for awhile. That is why they are the afterthought of the P5.

*P4

If making inroads into our time zone were the biggest consideration we would have been in the pac 20 years ago.

3 Likes

The PAC is in a bad spot right now as number 4, they are both weak predator and prey right now.

The best they can grab are Big 12 remnants and BYU and they can easily be poached if the other apex predator wants their best teams.

20 years ago, we were busy going 0-11.

3 Likes

I think it will be Tech, Okie State, Houston for sure, with 4th school likely TCU…That gives PAC real strength in the state of Texas.

4 Likes

…The PAC didnt have the problems 20 years ago they have now…and they didnt have marketing firms they hired telling them they need to DO something as soon as they are able…

4 Likes

The PAC will never take BYU… They are opposed to bringing in church schools as a matter of policy.

3 Likes

The Pac12 is in the catbird’s seat. They know no other major conference is going to invite schools like TCU, Tech, Baylor, etc. Hell, every team running to them right now are teams they could have plucked at any time in the past at their leisure.

Maybe OSU would have been the exception. Or Kansas. But I think even OSU would have gone had the PAC been smoking enough hooch to invite them.

Message board banter and clichés aside the PAC is a tremendously valuable and popular brand. It is a legendary institution in the state of California.

1 Like

Didn’t say they would… BYU is the PAC’s ceiling they aren’t adding anyone better than that.

1 Like

Once again. They could had those schools already if the timezone were the issue. Who was going to stop them?

Phones are blowing up for UCLA, Colorado, USC, and Oregon tonight from other PAC 12 members asking what’s up. Normally, I’d say no way those schools would move, but if the PAC is gonna wind up distributing $30M less than the SEC and B1G gets, there is some incentive for them to move. Not saying this is likely, but they are stuck in a conference where the others make cameo appearances. Like OU and Texas. Follow the money.

Dreaming. The PAC will not lose a single school.

1 Like

The Pac ADs would all love to add BYU. They are happy to schedule BYU home and home for the ticket sales and TV exposure. The Pac Presidents are all that matter and they have never wanted BYU.

They used to require a unanimous agreement to add a school and I think they change it to 3/4 in the last few years. They also have tons of new presidents, so history might not tell the whole story.

I’m not holding my breath - I don’t see anything but independence for BYU and I’m not sure what to root for anyway lol.

I think UH will be in a good spot when this is all done. Great history and market that has a much better level of support than most schools in the mix. That matters.

8 Likes

The PAC was going to take 4 if they expanded at all, and the first opportunity years to get Big 12 schools to go along with us is NOW…We have courted PAC for several years but we always knew we couldnt go alone…We had to have credible partners…Now we have them.
and Mountain, i sure wish the PAC would make an exception and take BYU along with us, but they would have to change a long time policy of no church schools to do it.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1418696196911161354?s=20