Pac 12 Poll

The PAC missed their chance at expanding with UH on the cheap. It will be exponentially more messy, and expensive, to pull UH away from the Big 12 than from the AAC.

They may have to help cover our exit fee now. Plus, they had a golden opportunity to essentially kill the Big 12 conference and take their market share in middle America IF they invited 3 Big 12 schools + UH. The Big 12 would no longer be a Power Conference and I doubt UC, UCF, & BYU move if the PAC raided OSU, TT, KU from the Big 12 . They weren’t savage enough to eliminate their wounded competition.

The PAC messed up big time. They can still expand but it will be way more expensive for them to do so. Many more hoops to jump through.

4 Likes

I’m not convinced of this take. We actually have not, at this time, joined the Big12

Not being privy to the actual letters of intent, and/or contracts (doubtful at this stage), none of us are able to cast a reliable opinion here.
But

This is exactly what I said, at the moment we received the Big12 bid
that UH (TILMAN and RK) have effectively pushed our chips ALL IN, forcing the PAC to either Call or Fold (for now).

I would bet that there is an “Out” clause in there for a Big, PAC, etc offer
even without that, I seriously doubt that penalty would be $80M
more like $5M (like your Ante at the poker table
)

Right now, the gears are turning in the PAC. I would bet that their Commissioner and Fox are canvassing Presidents and crunching numbers. We have not joined the Big12 yet, and their only timeline is the new TV contract

Patience Grasshopper

2 Likes

You really think Big XII leadership is this stupid?

1 Like

Every one in agreement, an invite to the PAC is a total upgrade to the Big12.

4 Likes

From my understanding you don’t pay an exit fee until you actually join the conference. While we have been invited and accepted it, we have not JOINED the big 12 yet. That won’t officially happen until we leave the aac and join in 2023.

But I do believe we would have to pay some kind of penalty for breaking the contract and not joining. But that penalty would be significantly less than the exit fee of the big 12. So technically the PAC 12 has until 2023 to make a decision, maybe longer if we join later.

2 Likes

So it might be in the best interest of the Big 12 to get the new members in As soon as possible, for 2 reasons:

1. ensures the stability of the conference. (Existing members can still leave behind that)
  2. ensures the new members won’t jump before ever playing a game. Once we join we’d have to pay a $80 million exit fee instead of $5 million

I’d still think there is a real chance this turns into a Big East situation. And we know that all too well!

What if KU accepts a B1G invitation before we play a single game? What if WVU accepts a ACC invitation before we play a single game ?

What if the PAC makes a move? The Big 12 is not safe till we play our first game.

Remember, when we joined the Big East/ AAC, it included:

Rutgers
Louisville
South Florida
Cincinnati
UCONN

This is still far from over
we need to be as cautious as we were before the invitation.

1 Like

We had to take the bird in hand vs hoping so we made the right move for now.

1 Like

T-Moar, there is always an out clause. We just do not know the definition of it.

What everyone should keep in mind is that the BIG12 was going to pass us over again. This news in itself is almost as big as our inclusion into the BIG12. There is a lot more that we do not know on our inclusion. Just that alone tell us how “friendly” the BIG12 brass is.

IMO if the PAC12 comes calling we do the following:

1 Like

No everyone is not in agreement. We don’t know what our TV payout would be and how solid is the B12 Autonomy status. If the B12 payout is more than the PAC as it is today and the other P5s say your Autonomy status is secure, why would we want to go to the Pac-12?

If PAC-12 issues continue, USC might want to join the Big12.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that we do not know the future.

1 Like

Man if you watched that zoom conference with Bowlsby, Tillman, Khator, and Pez you could feel the like, yea about time , the atmosphere was restrained at best. Video on YouTube

UH, B12 invite

1 Like

USC is never joining the Big 12

1 Like

Never say never.

Never.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

if the pac 12 offered houston, we would instantaneously take it without remote hesitation.

im surprised there is any debate about this
 its obvious

6 Likes

Well there you go.

Can I put my 1 vote for I disagree. TF has said countless countless times it’s all about the rivalries from Coog past. My point is there would be deep discussions if the offer was to come about. Not clear cut imo whatsoever. Again just 1/2penny worth.

1 Like

Why would there be anything built into our Big 12 contract that allows us to pay a reduced fee if another conference offers us? How is that anything but abjectly terrible business sense on the Big 12’s part? The “out clause” would be paying whatever contract termination fees are generally specified.

1 Like

The ultimate goal has always been the Pac12 for Houston.

1 Like

T-Moar unfortunately everybody has a price or what makes business sense for both parties or more.