PAC needs the state of Texas (UH) BAD!

Historical college football ratings are available at College football TV ratings 2023 - Sports Media Watch. I don’t know what data you are referring to, but for the past 2 seasons UHs tv ratings have been abysmal! They were darn good for 2016 for sure. I couldn’t find the Houston market numbers for 2018, but for the 2017 season, in the top 20 highest rated football games in Houston, UH had just 1! That’s the reality! And if you are going to point to the good, you also have to accept the bad.

Well thanks for that dose of reality. Good grief, I acknowledged the points you make in the very comment you copied. You might want to actually read it. I’m not here to argue. You brought nothing new to the table. But thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

You can blame opie for the decline in TV ratings over the last 2 years; as simple as that imo.

1 Like

population of Oklahoma 3.9 mil, Kansas 2.9 mil, Iowa 3.0 mil. Population of Houston MSA is 6.9 mil.

5 Likes

The data in question is literally about the Houston market (no one said it was national data). Please read. I believe the data was from David Barron at the Chonicle.

2 Likes

I dont care what the numbers show. I dont watch Texas or the Big12, a bunch of tesms from small cities. It is Houston and no other school. Btw, I was surprised by the number of robberies that UT football players commited when I lived in central texas, what is the stats and ratings on that!!! Thought so, I take our players over yours…

You overlooked the part where I mentioned “network”. The Big 12 doesn’t have one.

But it doesn’t explicitly state what the geographic scope is. Which is another reason I question it’s numbers.

And on a side note, if you read the title of this thread, it says the PAC needs Texas. There’s more to Texas than just Houston.

So far 148 posts about something which is not going to happen.

In PAC 12 country there is NEVER a story about the need for the conference to expand.

I don’t think any P5 conference is talking about expansion. They are not going to start talking about it until 2021. Only G5 schools talk about P5 expansion since it is their desire.

1 Like

BOOM. It was. I had pestered him for data and this was what he came up with. Challenges of aging :wink:

Robert you are right! Actually my input applies to the merits of any conference wanting to expand and seeing the merits of adding Houston and UH. The issue right now is to get our fan base to understand and appreciate what this school and this city has to offer. I know it seemed to get more narrow but that’s my big picture. So it applies to the Big 12, the SEC, the ACC and even the PAC 12.

UH and it’s leaders and fans can not afford to go into the next round of whatever on a hope and a prayer. We have to have a strong sense of identity and purpose. That’s where fan support comes from.

I agree with UHFan79. And just imagine what our following would be if we were playing P5 schools as opposed to UConn, ECU, Tulane, etc. Hopefully the networks and/or some other conference wanting to expand knows that and will take action sooner rather than later.

I’m with you SA but there are those on this board that consider UConn, ECU, Tulane, etc. to be exciting, worthy opponents.
Not me.

And really, not many and certainly almost none who followed this team in all sports during SWC days.

1 Like

Houston is Texas…outside of Houston, you are in no mans land!

3 Likes

.B1G is already planning to break 14 is max thing that in 2023…Their commish has plans for 16, and also 18…NOTHING is going to keep them from expanding when time comes…And when it happens, other conferences like ACC or PAC will likely react by also doing something…if they dont, we will be a part of a rebuilt Big 12, because OU and whorn are G O N E…there is a REASON they both refuse to extend the GOR…

2 Likes

If UT and OU leave the B12 then it would not be worth joining. The American could add TT, OSU, TCU, and Iowa State.

1 Like

Here’s the deal. You can question until Hell freezes over. We can tolerate that. But I’m telling you the numbers are for the Houston media market in 2016. Questions? Ask David Barron.

Again, we don’t need to get hung up on the Big12. They probably won’t exist in 5 years. What we need to do is work on our fan base and win, win, win. Pretty simple. The key to that is having coaches that don’t cut and run. We need stability so we aren’t constantly starting over. And for the first time I think we have coaches who want to stay and build.

Indeed, in one of the great sports ironies it could be the AAC that is picking up teams. They better come with heads bowed.