Penny going to Orlando?

Thats great. I think you missed the point of my question. I asked why would Penny leave NOW? When the team he’s been building is about to break through for a rebuild job that will be open again in three years? The NBA door is always there for Penny. He can continue to be king in Memphis and wait for a better situation. Only reason I see him leaving is if the NCAA is about to come down on Memphis with sanctions (like Pete Carroll). Otherwise leaving for Orlando just doesn’t make any since (right now).

Also don’t want to rabbit hole on this but “ALPHA” brain is not why Pitino is at Iona. If anything it completely undermines the point you were tying to make about why Penny should leave for the NBA. lmao

It is exactly why. It is why Briles was coaching in Italy and then at a high school. It is why May weather fights YouTube people. Always looking to win again and prove that you are as good as you think you are.

So alpha brain tells Penny to go to the NBA and it tells Pitino to stay at lowly Iona despite offers to coach at better programs? That doesn’t make any sense.

This is what Pitino had to say when asked whether he’d take the Indiana job.

“I’m not a candidate for Indiana or any job. You could come to me with the greatest job on Earth and I would not consider it. I came home to coach and end my career at a small Catholic school." There’s a stark difference between that and wanting to prove you can keep winning at the highest level. He just wants to coach but not to prove anything to anyone, its just what he feels called to do.

Mayweather fought Logan Paul because he saw an opportunity to make an easy 50 million without risking his health. He wasn’t trying to prove athat he’s still as good as he was lmao

Money will make him take the NBA job.

Didn’t make Sampson take it…

You are looking at just black and white. Are they alpha’s? Of course they are. What head coach isn’t? Sampson and Pitino have had long careers. They’re at the point in their lives when they’ve achieved what they want or are nearing it. Comfort is important. Starting a new gig is not comfort.

Penny is starting his career. Like Saban or Spurrier, the siren of the next level is calling. There are only 30 NBA head coaching jobs and one of them is for the team Penny used to play for. He may not get this opportunity again.

2 Likes

Lets just get off the Pitino talk. Penny took the Memphis job to bring Memphis back to its former glory. He’s failed so far. To bail now, at least to me, would be admitting defeat. I just don’t see him doing that. I think he’s back next year and Memphis breaks through and gets back to being a tourney fixture. I disagree with you that there’s even a slight chance he wont have another opportunity to coach in the NBA. That door will always be open to Penny because unlike most college coaches he actually belongs to the NBA fraternity. Hell I’d even argue that this specific HC’ing job will be open again in a few years. After all Orlando’s had like 10 HC’s in 32 seasons as a franchise. Its a rebuild job which he just got through doing at Memphis. While bail before ever getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

I think yall just want to see Penny take the Magic job because it’d be a blow to Memphis. Which I get but its just not very likely, imo.

Hardaway has a net worth of $50 million right now and is paid well at Memphis at $2 million a year. Doesn’t he also own a moving company? On the other hand, Kelvin Sampson’s net worth is estimated at $1 million to $5 million and his salary is $3.1 million at UH. Magic money didn’t lure Sampson, do you think it will lure the much wealthier Hardaway? If Penny goes, I don’t think money will be the determining factor.

I don’t think the money will be the deciding factors. Orlando vs Memphis and not having to pander to teenagers will be why he makes the move. Being successful at Memphis will bring better long-term security. Though his time to produce at Memphis is this season or it starts getting warm. When you are constantly bringing in 4-5 stars the expectations are at least NCAA appearances.
The defections indicate he has not been able to set a winning culture with the recruits has has brought to the program.

1 Like

Indiana was not going to touch him. Yeah he stayed at Iona for the heck of it. He is toxic right now. But so was our coach leaving Indiana.

It took 2 concussions and a ruptured urethra for me to figure out I should probably stay out of the cage and just train people. Some people take more.

Never wanna give up the fight to be better.

I heard that next month the NCAA is going to making a ruling on the wiseman issue. Maybe he won’t want to be there if the university get harsh penalties

1 Like

Just got an email back from someone in the athletic department at Memphis. Thought there is he’s staying, but clearly being considered.

Talked to my contact, Majeek Aitbol, and he said “ask again later”.

Still up in the air apparently.

5 Likes

Since his agent is pushing his name with Grimes, makes me think he’s interested

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1410036886563926018?s=21

My source says the fans who know what he will do actually have no idea.
My source also says that all other sources in the know and close to the program don’t have Penny on speed dial.
Same source also said there is a 50% chance of being right.

Told you guys

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1410046994840797184?s=19

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1410047241402957831?s=20