Pitching

I haven’t been as dialed into baseball in the past few years as I have with football and basketball. I watched most of 2 of the TSU games and couldn’t watch the game yesterday. The offense has looked great. Outside of TSU game 1, pitching has looked a little suspect. TSU and A&MCC aren’t exactly world beaters. Should we be concerned about the pitching?

1 Like

Here’s the thing. Mid-week games in college baseball seem to almost always end up being “pitching by committee.” It seems to me that most teams reserve their three best starting pitchers for weekend series, with their “ace” typically in game 1.

The mid-week games are given to less well thought of pitchers on the staff; you could sort of see how that played out in yesterday’s game. That’s a shame, because we have mid-week games against UT and aTm later in the season, and I’d love for us to put our best arms on the mound in order to beat them for “state bragging rights.”

If we truly had four “top notch” starting pitchers, then we’d truly be deadly, but that appears to be quite a rarity in college baseball.

Not sure if anyone will emerge as a reliable mid-week starter.

My impression is quite different. UH used 15 pitchers in the first 4 games. Nine of those have an ERA of 0.00. Not that my opinion means much - but I thought six of the pitchers I saw were really good - Gasser, Deese (particularly impressive in my view), Sears, Looney, Schultz and Cherry - Gasser, Sears and Schultz are starters and Deese, Looney and Cherry each look the part of excellent closers. The other pitchers either had too small a sample size (although Belcik, Huggins and Lazzaro looked good to my untutored eye) to make much of a judgment or were just getting their feet wet in D1 ball.

2 Likes

Uhhhhh…

In yesterday’s mid-week game, we used something like SEVEN pitchers.

Collectively, they gave up EIGHT earned runs on THIRTEEN hits.

Based on that, I stand by my post on our mid-week pitching.

That said, our starting three for the weekend series are fine, ESPECIALLY Gasser.

He really impressed!

2 Likes

Except weekend series this season will be 4 game sets

Perhaps Belcik can be starter #4 for CONFERENCE weekend series.

UT is a weekend series. TAMU is a midweek series.

The TSU series and TAMUCC game were all non-starters, everyone debuted their pitching careers at UH there according to broadcast.

Are you serious? None of our starters so far are actually our rotation pitchers?

So who are the weekend starters slated to be, if not those three?

No idea, they probably just let the new players debut or so? Probably testing them out. Coach apparently didnt bring back ANY starters to be starters.

1 Like

I hope y’all are right. I understand that the mid-week starter is usually your 4th best starter. I just think our biggest room for improvement out of these first 4 games is pitching. Of course, it’s really hard to judge based on our first 2 opponents. If this isn’t really our rotation, then sky might be the limit. I’ve been waiting a long time for a Todd Witting team to kick butt.

1 Like

So Gasser isn’t the Friday night starter?

During the AMCC broadcast Matt Thomas said what @coogsofcv3 said above… CTW didn’t bring back any starters from last year’s roster.

That may be true, but it would be strange to me that we would have a different set of weekend starters the rest of the season than started this weekend.

I could be wrong, but I’m assuming that those three won the jobs.

2 Likes

Gang,

Based on what I see here, it looks as though last weekend’s starters ARE INDEED going to be our primary three weekend starters. If that weren’t the case, then why are they starting on BOTH of the first two weekends? As I mentioned, perhaps Belcik could be the #4 starter in four game conference series.

Read on.