Please put Allen in

Who needs Les Miles, Charlie Strong. Lane Kiffin or Lincoln Riley when you can have Major Applewhite? It’s not like Fertitta had any candidates with experience or name recognition to choose from. geeez

2 Likes

Patterson did get whipped by a 1-5 Tulane team in his first year 22 to 48. It was the most points Tulane scored all year and the only team to score less points against Tulane that year was Southern.

So if Applewhite doesn’t go 10-2, win the conference, and finish ranked like Patterson did his 2nd year, can he be fired then?

2 Likes

We’ve had a thing with Tulsa over the years. I remember Anita Martini just dreading another Tulsa game. Anyway, I don’t think this will happen, coaches are stubborn, but Allen should play, always gives a spark when timing and leadership are changed.

Patterson inherited a conference champion. He came in with plenty of talent.

Patterson recruited and developed that talent as a coordinator. So if we don’t have the talent…

Patterson has me curious. Does anyone know if he made any changes after his first season? Did he replace any coordinators or make any other staff changes?

1 Like

But he still struggled his first year. Even though he had recruited and developed conference-championship level talent as DC.

To be clear, I think we have issues with coaching, I just think they’re at the WR Coach and QB Coach spots, not necessarily HC or OC.

1 Like

Just in case you didn’t catch the previous post, I didn’t think Applewhite was in the top 5 of best choices. That being said, if we fire Applewhite in his first year, the job becomes undesirable to coaches worthy to lead our program. Going back to your question though, are you saying that anything short of what Patterson did in his first two years is a fireable offense? That would be silly wouldn’t it? If we finish this season 6-6, kept a majority of the recruits that committed (top 50 class), gave King or Bryson the reigns to 2018, finished 9-4 , second place in our division and won a bowl game, would you still want to fire Applewhite? I don’t think it would happen but if it did, you would have to be nuts to say he should still get fired because he isn’t as good as Patterson.

2 Likes

Also, there is a small part of me that wants Allen to start, just so I can say “King should have started” soon as Allen throws his first incomplete.

I think this issue really comes down to this - for the first time in modern University of Houston history, we have a five star defensive tackle - one of the best players in the entire country - and a five star quarterback - top QB recruit in the nation - on the roster on Cullen Blvd. We have a slew of three-star level talent that surrounds those two individuals. Do I believe Kyle Allen is a better quarterback than Kyle Postma? Hell yes!

What we lack is a coaching staff that can take that amazing talent and build a team around them that uses that talent to its greatest potential. Instead of using the amazing arm of Allen to sling it and putting receivers that can create separation with speed on the field, we put our biggest bodies/blocking receivers out there to help the lateral run game. Instead of stretching the field vertically to open up the run game, we go sideline to sideline both running and passing. Instead of bringing pressure from delayed rushes as Oliver is triple-teamed on obvious passing downs, we play containment with the backs 10-yds off the receiver.

Best talent on Cullen since the 80’s, and it is being squandered with bad coaching.

6 Likes

Yeah, apparently A&M coaching staff couldn’t do it either. Look at the horrible production Spavital is getting out of Will Grier this year. What a hack!

You want to keep giving Allen the benefit of the doubt because of his recruiting ranking. What does that say about Keenum? Sometimes you just gotta say, if they throw INTs like a duck and if they fumble like a duck, they might be a duck.

I would agree with you if it was just one of our quarterbacks, but it seems like this offensive system is NOT a progression passing game like when Keenum was here. It sounds like from the coach’s comments they are coaching the QBs to do a planned look-off to get the defensive backs and safeties moving one way, then comeback to a pre-designated receiver on the other side. There is a specific receiver who is supposed to receive the ball, and if he is covered, you are supposed to check down, which isn’t happening.

When you have two different guys in there and you get the same results, i.e. throws into coverage, you have to start asking yourself if it is the quarterbacks or the guys telling the quarterbacks what to do. If you put King in this system, I think you will get the same results. I honestly believe that at this point.

This is what I cannot reconcile. With the struggles at QB (whether the decisions or passes were bad, they were both bad), why not run King out there as QB for a few games? I know he is your best speed option at WR but, if your QB is making either bad decisions or bad passes, does it really matter how much speed you have at WR? And, if CMA thinks King is an option in '18, then why not now?

For a coach that said ball security was the reason for replacing Allen with Postma, I found it interesting that ball security has not gotten Postma back to the bench. So maybe there is more behind the scenes that we do not know about Allen and CMA because, from the outside, it looks like Postma is getting a longer leash. I don’t have a preference other than I want the Coogs to win out and I continue to be frustrated that the solid defense is being wasted in a year where there is no dominant team in the AAC West.

Les Miles is less flexible and more run oriented than Applewhite, Lane Kiffin is Art Briles with less integrity, Lincoln Riley would not even interview for the job because he wanted Oklahoma. Charlie Strong, that would have been really too weird swapping coaches with UT.

He addressed that in the post game press conference when asked why Allen wasn’t put in after INTs by Postma. Said Postma’s were bad throws, Allen’s were bad decisions. So bad throws acceptable. Bad decisions not. I thought all INTs were unacceptable

2 Likes

Throwing into double and triple coverage is always a bad DECISION regardless of the throw. My 2 cents.

3 Likes

Agree with this line of thinking. Instead of having the ball in your best player’s hands 6-8 times a game, why not every damn play?

For those that keep asking why Allen got pulled and why Postma didn’t get pulled, you might need a reminder. Allen had his third turnover on the first drive of the second half and went on to play the entire 3rd quarter and one more possession in the 4th quarter. He also had another fumble that got recovered by a teammate. There was another pass that Allen threw right to a defender on the right side that should have been a pick 6 that got dropped.

Postma coming in for Allen was more about mercy than anything else. The decision to not start Allen didn’t happen during the game. It happened after watching game film. The same could be true for Postma this week. It’s not exactly setting up another QB for success though. A short week of practice against our first top 25 opponent of the year.

Huh! I thought it was to gives ourselves a chance at a W. What was I thinking?