Pregame Thread: Coogs vs Navy

I think that CMD has experience in beating option style teams, so I am not particularly worried about Navy. Team just has to focus on executing their assignments. Displine will make or break the D. O should roll. My concerns are Memphis and UCF. Memphis because they will come to play, especially at home against the Coogs. UCF is just a talented team with a great deal of confidence that does not quit and they will likely be at home. We’ll see. Until then, just enjoying the ride.

2 Likes

For as much shit our DC takes, I’ve heard in here that his defense is better suited against Navy than Todd Orlando’s.

2 Likes

Playing D against a Navy type O is just so much about discipline in executing assignments. We’ll have to win the individual battles and we can’t let our eyes wonder here.

1 Like

don’t agree with the premise of this string…
i think the most important part of the game will be how the defense plays, stopping the run and in particular stopping the pass on 3rd and long…that will be the key to winning vs Navy and Tulane…and even Memphis.
The offense will get points…we would have had 14 more on offense if cma didn’t put in the third team O and D in the last 10 min.
the offense is performing well, getting rid of the false starts, holds and other silly mistakes would make this team unbeatable

Navy, USF, Temple and Memphis all scare me lol

Do you understand Navy’s offense at all? Here, I’ll give you an example why I ask that question. Against Hawaii and SMU, a couple of Navy’s better offensive performances, they passed on 3rd and long five times. Resulting in 4 incomplete and 1 sack.

Before making any assumptions that our 3rd down defense is worse than SMU or Hawaii as well, we are ranked 90th, Hawaii is ranked 96th and SMU ranked 118th. Navy rarely throws on third and long and when they do, it’s not very pretty.

2 Likes

The schedule gets better now which makes the games more exciting. Tulsa and ECU are just garbage.

The Navy game looks to be a lot like last year. Navy will be tough but can’t play from behind and they’re screwed.

Oh ye of little faith and slow to believe.

2 Likes

Key is stopping their FB with the dline freeing lbs to chase option

1 Like

The real key is playing disciplined defense. If last year’s game is still on YouTube re-watch the second half. That is a good as you can defend the triple option. If our D plays the whole game like that, Navy won’t score unless on a trick play.

1 Like

Any squad with a Briles on staff is going to be penalized. Its a family tradition.

6 Likes

I just don’t know that this team has the discipline and ambition required to win every week. Navy never quits. Put us in bad weather conditions against Navy and I and I’m worried about how we will respond.

But there are reasons to be optimistic. The strength of this defense has been stopping the run and we know Navy will run. Our offense is what really worries me in this game. We have to catch the ball!!!

Ed Oliver was on the 2016 team that lost at Annapolis in the rain. Hopefully he is leading and gets our guys ready to fight!

Our defense has been getting better every week, and while the offense has sputtered at times, they are still putting up a ton of points. As much as I love having Navy in our conference, they are just not very good this year. This SHOULD be one of our easier road wins this year. Although, the one thing that has me a bit worried is the weather. Right now, weather.com is showing an 80% chance of rain and a high temp of 64 degrees. Not optimal for the passing game. Thankfully our run game has been pretty darn good this year. Just a quick glance back at the numbers, we should be able to run for 200 yards against Navy this week, even if it’s raining. Memphis ran for 233 in their game against Navy and it rained the entire game if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Check Weather Underground. Their breakdown is awesome. Shows high chance of rain early, but by 3, the chance of rain is less than 40 percent and dropping. A few days earlier, it was showing 60 percent @ 3, now it is lower. Hopefully, the downward trend will continue . . . . .

3 Likes

I looked at Accuweather and their forecast is Cloudy with occasional rain in the afternoon, 55% chance, thunderstorms 10%, rain 0.02 in., high 63. Hopefully these forecasts hold true.

W U says @ 3:00 PM Saturday . . . . . 62 degrees, then up 1 and 34 percent chance of rain, down from 63 percent @ 9:00 AM . . . . . Does not look too promising for another tour of the Academy and/or assembly . . . . . @ least on Saturday, Friday might be a better option . . . . . We be leaving tomorrow for a few days to tour DC, then off to Annapolis Friday . . . . . If you are in the Houston area, the temps now are close to the best they will be for several days . . . . . highest 65 degrees, lowest 45 degrees . . . . . dress warm . . . . .

HAVE YOU SEEN NAVY PLAY, WHERE DID THERE TRIPLE OPTION GO? HOPE THEY DON"T FIND IT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

There QB is very weak on the pitch which is why he keeps a lot in the red zone. But they are 20 for 20 in scoring tds in the red zone.

20 for 20? problem with that is 12 of those TDs were against Lehigh and Hawaii…they have 8 TDs against other 4 opponents…Thats not likely to hold up against us, no matter what the weather…Remember, we are excellent running the ball. too…Just need to clean up the penalties…we lost 2 years ago to Navy because Judas not only didnt bother preparing the team, he suspended our 2 best defensive players, Bowser and Richard, for fighting in practice…Like the man WANTED to do all he could to see us lose…
We’ll be ready this year…

Mods or original post (@staffordcoog): can we Edit the title and make this the official pregame…

Post game thoughts on Temple vs Navy.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2018/10/14/five-takeaways-from-navys-loss-to-temple