Pregame Thread; Coogs vs Tortilla Tossers

cheapest ticket for the tech game on stub hub is 13 dollars. LOL

I would take the over as well but having a 49-21 or 38-31 type score would not surprise me. With how many plays both teams like to run, the Over does seem like the play but not enough to bet the farm (mine or anyone else’s).

I will be able to watch the first half – hoping the Coogs jump out early and I don’t have to worry too much in the 2nd half.

I would argue that our D had better talent last year from a personnel standpoint, after all 2 of our LBs are in the NFL from last year and Nick Thurman was no joke. Year 2 has helped us understand CMD D a lot better tho. It helps that Brown and Robinson have been playing well too

You must be talking more about the 2011 defense with the additions of Hayden, Brown, and Derrick Matthews. If I remember correctly.

Nevemind disregard my comment I got confused! Lol.

1 Like

So many mistakes in this write up. They think Jones stadium is Cowboys stadium. I don’t know why I keep going to this site.

1 Like

Down to $8 now, yikes.

LOL!

The game is at Jerrys world?

No. The writer didn’t care to do his homework.

We really need to generate a pass rush with 4-5 guys, so we can drop guys into coverage. My guess is we have a safety playing back a little further to prevent the big play. They have an experienced Oline. This will be the hardest win to get currently on the schedule. Protect the ball and keep everyone in front of you.

1 Like

I don’t know about the deep safety unless it’s 3rd and really long. In the 3 quarters of the Ole Miss v. Tech game that I watched, I didn’t see many downfield attempts by Tech. They really like the quick short passes. Maybe they were just breaking in a true freshman QB though. I will say that if we’re going to line up in man coverage on Vasher in long yardage situations, we do need to have a safety over the top to help with jump balls.

1 Like

one thing I noticed is that they haven’t given up any sacks, neither have we tho

If I were them I would use running and intermediate passing to limit the coogs possessions.

This is a good prediction and write up.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/houston-cougars-vs-texas-tech-red-raiders-prediction-picks-2018?amp

I don’t know what this next guy is smoking with that final score. That may be the first half score.

1 Like

Disclosure…life long AZ fan/3 year Houston fan. I’m sad to say Tech will be better at about 11 positions than the Cats were. And also better at some very subtle things, like football :smiley: Also, they may decide running the ball, every critical down, at the best defender in the country, is not in the game plan. Anyway… what do you think about being a 1.5 fav on the road? Will there be a Houston presence in Lubbock? Also @ 1.5 who’s got the better special teams?

I’m hoping for about 2000 Coog fans to show up, we are leaving this morning for Lubbock the land of prairie dogs, lol

Regarding first prediction 45-42 Coogs…this guy is touting such huge improvement by TT D from week 1 to 2 even though played SEC team week 1 and Lamar week 2. Said after giving up 7 plays over 20 yards vs Miss gave up none vs Lamar…no shit!! It’s Lamar
Miami held Savannah St to 78 yards offense after getting ground up by LSU.
Let’s not minimize competition component. I’m not saying TT doesn’t have talent, but the rationale is off . After saying how much better they were…says UH gets 45??? Is that good giving up 45?? Who knows…maybe by end year we can look back and teams that “held” UH to 45 will have done well…god willing

1 Like

2 of us leaving this morning for Lubbock as well. Hope lot’s more UH folks are going to be joining us.

2 Likes

This is actually what Tech is already doing. The numbers are interesting for Bowman through 2 games:

Overall: 51 - 74 for 555 yards; 68.9% completion percentage; 7.50 yards per attempt

vs. Ole Miss: 29 - 49 for 273 yards; 59.2% completion percentage; 5.57 yards per attempt

vs. Lamar: 22 - 25 for 282 yards; 88% completion percentage; 11.28 yards per attempt

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Bowman’s stats against us will look more like they did against Ole Miss than against Lamar. And after seeing what Southern Illinois was able to do against that Ole Miss defense, probably even worse.

I watched 3 quarters of the Tech v. Ole Miss game and it looks like Tech does not want to take shots down field. They like to run the ball (39 attempts against Ole Miss) and dink and dunk with the passing game. This will likely garner them a ton of yards and somewhat limit our possessions, but I’m ok with that. I think our defense will hold them to punts and field goals more than their defense will hold our offense to the same. If Tech gains the same amount of yardage as we do and we win by 27 like we did against Arizona, I’m good with that.

5 Likes