PreSeason Top25

LOL, yep …older…I expect a CWS trip in next 5-10 years…seriously, everything is there for a run…facilities, Big12 move and location,location,location. If TW doesn’t turn the ship around asap, the next man up is walking into a potential gold mine

1 Like

You know I’m old since I attended UH the last time we were in the CWS, losing in the finals to Arizona State

4 Likes

It would take a miracle to first turn the program completely around in 5-10 years such that we’re in the upper echelon of the Big 12 to then just get into the tournament, let alone the CWS.

I have to respectfully disagree. Couple of stout incoming classes with some stud arms and you’re right back IMO

2 Likes

As it stands now we will probably be Big 12 doormats in baseball, men’s golf, womens hoops and maybe softball.
Got to get those programs up to par

1 Like

And let me know how the groundwork has been laid in order to get those couple of stout recruiting classes.

It would take 2-4 years just to be in a position to do that.

So you think that IF we get a new coach NEXT year that he will get those two stout classes in the first or second years? LOL

We’ll see…all I know is you can change the direction of the program in very short order…it’s there for the taking.

2 Likes

Hopefully the two coaching changes will make a difference, but I won’t hold my breath.

Only took CTW 3 seasons to turn the program around previously

If we get the hire right it can be done in a recruiting cycle

2 Likes

So that’s my point. One more season with CTW and then IF a new coach comes on board, according to your calibration that would be 4 years from now and that’s if we’re lucky. There’s no guarantee that you just sprinkle “3 year magic dust” and we’re all dancing in the streets. It could be longer. I would say four years from now at a minimum.

Well its probably gonna come down to whether or not our administration wants to make the baseball program a priority. If they do I have full faith they’ll be able to make a good hire and capitalize on the momentum from joining a better league. I have zero problem waiting for 3-5 years to see us playing at a high level again. Now if we botch the hire then yes it could turn into a longer wait then most of us are comfortable with. Until a moves made though I’m going to continue to root for coach to turn it around.

1 Like

If we get the right hire next year( assuming TW is gone) it would not take 4-5 years IMO.
You can turn a baseball program around faster than basketball or football.

Notice I said the “ right” hire…. Most of us agree on who that should be I think. You can make the NCAA’s in first year out of the gate.

Sean Allen is alumni, great reputation, strong recruiter , especially in the area and he is ready…shoot, he brings in a couple of good assistants….Forget about it!
We would have a team that can win a regional in 2-3 years after taking over.

3 Likes

The suburbs of Houston to include but not limited to: Katy, Sugarland, Richmond, Woodlands, Spring/Klein, Kingwood, Cypress, Pearland, Baytown, Memorial, Lake Jackson is a Top 3 (#2 in my opinion) hot bed for youth baseball prospects in the entire country.

Take a look at our 2014 roster that compiled a record of 48-14 and ranked 11th in the nation. 17 players or 50% of the roster is from the areas mentioned above (local talent). 14% of the roster was from out of state.

Now look at the 2022 roster: 5 players are from the above areas, or 12.5%. 17 players from out of state or 42.5% of the roster.

You could argue we have lost our grasp on local recruiting which does not make sense for this University to not recruit their own backyard aggressively. Rice’s 2022 roster has 24 players from the areas described above.

This is in no way a slight at our current and former out of state players, some of them are the most talented players on the roster and we are lucky to have them, but the formula for a long time at this university has been to heavily recruit the talented Houston suburbs.

5 Likes

And I think most people on the baseball board know the reason for this change in those numbers.

It has to change and only one way for that to happen….right now the program is just spinning it’s wheels….and not all the victories over the SWAC and Southland are going to pull the wool over my eyes.

2 Likes

Play a southland and swac non conference then get to the American and we’re not able to compete we always play in a good tournament at the first of the season too and always come out 1-3

1 Like

The HUGE ROAD wins at A&M CC are not fooling anyone

1 Like

Look at Lael L when he transferred to Arkansas he thrived

2 Likes

No argument here.
Good D1 programs don’t rebuild, they reload. Much like the 2001 Coogs did after having 11 players drafted in 2000. The 2000 team was probably the best UHBB team ever. The 2001 team got an at-large regional bid with a 29-28 record playing a tough schedule. The 2002 team was almost as good as the 2000 team.

3 Likes