Quarterback question

Tune went 0-3 and threw a pick against that same defense… Let’s see what Ike can do with a full week as starter against Navy.

1 Like

I would love to see what Ike could do as well if he were given more practice time with the starters and the coaches actually groomed him to be the starter like they did with Tune. If he doesn’t turn the ball over like Tune usually does and the offense runs better with him then he should be our starting QB from now! Going back to the same guy after we already know what we got with him is just plain stupid!

1 Like

It’s better to overthrow the deep ball vs underthrowing it to the DBs.

9 Likes

I’m not ready to crown him, but Ike looked good. I want to see how he does against a better defense.

Maybe I’m nuts but I don’t see rotating quarterbacks to be the worst thing in the world. Especially when you have a player with uneven health reliability.

2 Likes

I feel exactly like you! Groom him to be the starting QB and then see what he could do against better teams. That’s all we ask for.

1 Like

That was exactly what Briles did when we had a QB battle between Keenum and Blake Joseph. Briles played both of them to see who was the better QB. That is exactly what you should do when your starting QB isn’t good at all. The only way to find out is to let them play in a live game. Some people could throw the ball in practice, but doing it in a real game with guys coming at you to tear you apart is completely different!

1 Like

Agree. Ike had earned the right to start against Navy. I watched him go through his pre-snap motions and it was effortless. Loved the no huddles. I want more of those.

Huddle, no huddle, receiving plays, communication with the sideline was fine. Pre-snap clock management was good. I don’t recall a false start or delay of game. He wasn’t careless with the ball.

Ok, this was Grambling and there were initially jitters, but he needs to start against Navy.

1 Like

I hate to rag on a college kid, but number 3 played less than a quarter and tossed it to the other team. Number 14 did not turn the ball over and played reasonably well. Conclude what you will.

Looking to the future I know Kopp was highly recruited. My understanding he is a pro-type rather than dual purpose. He has height and a great arm but he will never be a threat with his legs. Are we staunchly committed to the pro-type prototype for our offense? It will be interesting to follow our q-back recruiting this year.

No
The playbook for Ike is much smaller than for tune
He still overlooked open receivers like tune
And when he threw down field, something that tune rarely does, he only connected once
The others wound have been ints vs faster competition

With the exception some goal line dives where tue offense gets up to the line real fast for a QB keeper, it’s been a long time since Ibe seen an up-tempo offense. It was really nice to see some tempo to prevent the defense from changing personnel. Is that up to the QB or Dana?