Ran across some old hoops photos you old timers might appreciate!

And a guy that works for me presently went to HS and played football with Randy Matson up in Pampa Texas. Bill played FB at Pampa HS and then later at SFA and he’s about a year older than Randy.

Years ago when Bill asked Randy why he chose to go to ATM, Matson told him it was because they paid him the most $$$. That was back in about 1963. So really nothing much has changed.

1 Like

Steve Francis was never coming to U of H. You must be thinking of his teammate Omar Sneed, who had initially committed to UH. Grades prevented him from being able to enroll (which must have been pretty bad considering they kept him out of UH). Anyway, Sneed (eventual Memphis signee) went on to team with Francis, Alex Scales (Oregon), William Clay (Texas) and Calvin Bowman (West Virginia) to form a powerhouse JC squad in 1997 that was (technically) undefeated going into the NJCAA championship, which they ultimately lost in the waning moments. I say ‘technically’ because they ended up having to forfeit one of their conference games after it was learned they had played the game with an ineligible player.

True Francis was placed at JC by his future team.
Snead was never coming here either after getting into trouble on a visit to UH.
My point was San Jac was loaded over the years and there were many players that were placed there by various school.

Butch, thanks for posting those vintage photos.

2 Likes

Sam Cassel and Walter Berry come to mind as well. Sad that the program did not survive.

1 Like

Here’s my old friend Sonny Willis and one of my all time faves, Dwight Davis playing Michigan State in 1971. This was the Bluebonnet Classic over Christmas break. We whipped LSU and the Spartans back-to-back.

1 Like

Always liked Sonny! I believe he has been coaching for years unless he has retired

1 Like

I remember watching DD when I was a senior at Westchester H.S. and Coogs were in the NCAA Tournament playing Loyola of Chicago, I think?

Randy, I’m not sure we’ve played Loyola Chicago since 66 NCAAs, Elvin’s sophomore year. Dwight was a senior in the 71-72 season, andUH lost in the first round that year to UT. That was the most I’ve been depressed as a UH fan

1 Like

I went to Westchester the year it was opened ('67/'68). Memorial got the new boundries gerrymandered. Coaches came through gym classes looking for sacrafical lam…errr…football players.

Getting this back on topic…from my collection…

2 Likes

I did this all from memory, maybe I remember when played Loyola of Chicago in ‘66, who knows? I do remember watching the Coogs in the ‘73 NCAA Tournament maybe I was thinking of Dwight Jones. I looked it up we got beat by Southwestern Louisiana 102-89! It also said we avg. 91.0 points per game that season! WOW!

1 Like

I was after you I was a ‘73 graduate & then went to U of H as trainer in football & baseball.

1 Like

A former classmate of mine, Brian Breslin, played for Michigan State. The Breslin Center, on the campus of Michigan State was named for Brian’s father. Brian became a Board regent for MSU later in his career. I got to visit with him at those games, as I played in the Cougar Brass.

1 Like

Correct.

We went from the win against Notre Dame in the 71 Midwest Regionals 3rd place game until the first round game in the 82 NCAAs between tourney wins

1 Like

Remember playing Loyola of New Orleans in '72(?) after they had announced they were shelving their hoops program. Their team came out with unis with the school name removed. We didn’t know what was going on until I got the attention of the Post photograper… He had the answer.

btw…Ed Riska (RIP) played for them that year and transfered in from LNO the next season and became a crowd favorite.

2 Likes

Randy Worrell, were you a baseball player or trainer on the same high school team at Westchester as the best high school pitcher of all-time in David Clyde?

1 Like

Clyde looked like a man pitching against kids at Westchester. He kicked for the FB team, too. Saw him kick a long FG in a driving rain one Friday night against Spring Woods i think.

1 Like

Spring Woods-- Roger Clemens H.S. Alma Mater.

I think former UH baseball coach Noble also graduated from Spring Woods with Clemons

And the Rangers absolutely ruined him! BTW a guy named Ryan from Alvin wasn’t too shabby in high school lol