Ratings

Much has been discussed about how we did in Houston area ratings. Anyone know how we did nationally and how it compares to others?

2013-15 Combined Total TV Viewers (Millions)
Regular Season + Bowls

41M = Navy
39M = Boise
39M = BYU
31M = UCF
25M = Houston
23M = Army
22M = Cincy
21M = Northern Ill
21M = East Carolina
21M = Temple
20M = UConn
19M = Fresno
17M = Utah St
16M = Bowling Green
14M = Air Force
14M = San Diego St
14M = Memphis
13M = SMU
13M = USF
12M = Tulsa
10M = Toledo
9M = Colo St

Note: if things break perfectly (conference title game on ABC, NY6 Bowl or better), we might 25M viewers this year alone.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those 41M viewers for Navy are attributable to the annual Army/Navy game? Guessing that one game skews that number quite a bit.

1 Like

Well, Army is 23M. So I’d say close to half.

The rest are mostly ND games, bowl games and Air Force games. Oh, and the game on ABC against Houston last year.

1 Like

My guess is that Baylor/UCF bowl several years back is skewing theirs way out of the average…

Hey, it is what it is.

2015 skewed Houston’s numbers. Hopefully, 2016 will too.

Correct, but you’re referring to a whole season vs a single game like I mentioned.

Almost half of our 25M comes from the last 3 games we played (Navy on ABC, Temple on ABC, Florida St in NY6 Bowl).

So again, what’s your point? It is what it is. Big games on big stages count more.

Besides, they earned those rating against Baylor.

1 Like

I would love to see those numbers include 2011 and 2012.

Well, 2011 for sure.

But College football TV ratings 2023 - Sports Media Watch didn’t keep track back then.

Probably for the best, since we were on CBS Sports Network mostly in our CUSA days, and that network is not tracked by Nielsen. The American/ESPN TV deal has been a boondoggle for us.

1 Like

I think windfall is the correct term. And yes, the difference has been night and day.

Four games in a row against ranked teams and on ABC? Hmmmm I bet that doesn’t happen too often.