Realigning America: A Radical Reimagining of the NCAA Landscape

Water cooler talk might go up a small bit between UT and Rice or Florida and USF or USC and San Diego St, but it doesn’t mean anyone will turn on the TV to watch the games.

There are people in West Virginia that do watch OU and TCU because they are in conference and are teams they recognize. TV ratings are more on name recognition and perception than simply being local.

You mention TCU. TCU did not get ESPN approval for the Big 12 addition because they were a local Texas school, but because they brought in east coast and west coast viewers in TV ratings. TCU had a better reputation outside the state than inside the state, thus they brought in good ratings on a national level.

As a member of the quartumvirate of true P6(UH, BOISE,UCF, CINCINNATI: {I would include Memphis myself} It would be nice to be considered for the SuperConference. As we know however this is A Game of Thrones [I mean endowments for the WELL ENDOWED]

I like this “Reimagine” idea much better than others out there. But good luck with getting it to this point with the old guard confernce structure in place tied by big long term contracts. With zippo NCCA leadership I don’t see how this transformation ever gets off the ground.

But I do like it, it appears to be more into the best interest of college football as a whole and not just for the rich and powerful locked into big conference deals.

The one big complaint across college football has been the disappearnce of the local and regional rivals that has occurred from all the conference changes from decades past.

I keep seeing the NCAA blamed for the current state of college football. The truth is that that the NCAA has zero authority over scheduling and TV thanks to interference by the federal courts.

True, but it is the issue that the sport has zero leadership. It is run by the conferences and the P5s and the networks and their money.

The biggest complaint I have heard throughout the pandemic (primarily from watching the media “expert” guest on Finebaum and conference and university AD leaders) is the fact that their isn’t a leading body for the entire sport. The NCAA really should be in that role, but they aren’t.

1 Like

The P5 conferences would have to give football control over to the NCAA and we know that is not happening.

1 Like

Wasn’t even looking at geography as a consideration. Was more primarily considering competitively balanced divisions, rivalry ties and everyone getting to hit each recruiting zone yearly.

Haha you think people in West Virginia have TVs

1 Like

Trent, you sound like the yankees that think Texas is still like the old west. WVa is a beautiful state with some very nice people and they have all of the modern things that we do. They also have some very backward areas, just like Texas (think of Jaspar for example).

I figured it wasn’t geography. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would be curious as to SMU in the balance of power. If they can keep Dykes for a few years, they could move up the power level on a regular basis compared to their past couple decades… I don’t think they would reach upper level though very often though.

BU along the same lines of keeping a coach, but in reverse. I could see them falling if they do not hold one. Not to the bottom though. If they do keep the coaching trend up, they could compete for a conference title every few years. That might put them in the upper half with OU, OSU, UT, A&M, and TCU

UNT, TU, and Rice would most likely be stuck at the bottom most every year.

I like Holgerson, but not sure yet where I would put UH.

Realistically you can swap Rice out with some FCS teams and get a better product on the men’s side.