Recruiting

Another brilliant post from Pearland. :roll_eyes:

It’s crap like that, that just pi$$es me off. I love love and support UofH, win or lose. I am not always pleased with the state of our athletic programs, but I do my best to remain positive and I ALWAYS promote our school where ever I may be. Unfortunately there are more than a few Coog “fans” that project negativity on a regular basis. What folks post on these boards are their own opinions and If I disagree I usually just SMH and scroll on. Momma always said “it’s useless to argue with idiots and simpletons”. Let me add that if I ever hear that kind of BS being spewed to a recruit, we wont be needing the recruiting staff to handle them. Prolly the Campus Police to get me off of him, or more likely the medical staff to extract my boot from his a$$. GO COOGS EATEMUP!

2 Likes

He recruited guys who either played in the NFL or still are. I also remember people complaining about those kids’ low rankings when he recruited them. Do you remember people cheering when he brought in Elandon Roberts or Tyrus Bowser? I don’t. It wasn’t until he left, and those kids blossomed that he was appreciated.

3 Likes

So what I’m hearing is if we bring in Jimbo and Saban we are golden.

Know who else could recruit……Bob Stoops…pretty sure we could lure him away from the XFL……I think he would be pretty fired up to stick it to OU and show the rest of the conference he still had it.

1 Like

As many have correctly stated for years poor recruiting is at the heart of our football problems.

Applewhite, then Dana, have not excelled in this endeavor.

1 Like

Picture this. You are an 18 year old HS player with dozens of colleges after you, including big name schools. You go to school A and it’s packed with 80+K screaming fans even when playing against crummy teams. Same with schools B, C, and D. Then you come to UH and the 40K stadium looks half empty. The fans that are there are not energized or are booing the home team. Now, regardless of who the coach is, what would make you want to come here other than the coaching staff and the idea you would have a better chance of starting sooner?

The coaches are only part of recruiting. The atmosphere in the stands and the facilities are also huge in a kid determining where he wants to go. Now throw in NIL big bucks from the bigger name schools, and you see what our coaching staff is recruiting against. It is just as hot and sunny at aTm, LSU, TCU, etc as it is at TDECU. Yet those stadiums are full and positive. And now, we even had some idiot at the game yelling at the kids to not come here because Dana sucks. Dana had plenty reason to be angry.

3 Likes

No one needs to tell a recruit not to.come here, Dana behavior is enough to convince them of that.

Holgorsen amused me when he left for Houston when he suggested that nobody could recruit at WVU, which was funny because quite a few coaches had recruiting success at WVU, and although Neal Brown might end up being an inadequate coach at WVU, recruiting hasnt been the problem. Holgorsen was the only coach since 1980 to fail at recruiting at WVU. Now, that said i really had expected he could recruit much better at a Texas school like Houston rather than WVU because its his local recruiting territory and he has developed relationships, or so i would have thought, in the Texas high school football scene…but his recruiting at WVU was @$$ residue.

My theory for his recruiting failures at WVU centered around a perception, real or imagined, that the man lacks character…and he is recruiting against coaches that can at least behave like they are adults.

1 Like

I was with you until the last part and then it just turned into more excuses….
Until we have someone who quits with the woe is me attitude this is what we get.

For the last 30 years all I’ve heard is we can’t recruit because we r not P-5……if we were P-5 we would do this and do that….now we are on the verge and now we get, Stadium not full, Nil, etc….SSDD

Herman was the only one we have had like that……scumbag, 100%. But he did it.

Imagine we were heading into the Big 12 when we had him? Would most likely be the best recruiting we ever had.

The second paragraph is just amplification of the first. Facts, not excuses.

CTL might still be around if he hadn’t stuck with JOK at QB for so long and recognized the talent he was wasting, G. Ward.

2 Likes

Could someone please wave a magic wand and give us a CKS-type FB Coach. That man is The Real Deal

2 Likes

I’ll work on it. :relaxed: