Redshirt Tracker (Updated through regular season)

Could be any number of explanations. For guys like Goodson and Wells, I would imagine it’s just a depth thing. For example, with Spencer Wells, we played 5 TEs Saturday night, and there’s only so many snaps to go around. In Goodson’s case, we played 12 LBs. Could also be an undisclosed injury thing, which I would expect is the case for guys like Vaughn, Phenix, Taylor and Brown. I would think barring injury we would want to get as many guys in as possible in the defensive line and backfield.

Glad to see Freeman out there. I had thought his injury was going to keep him out for the season.

That certainly makes sense…thank you!

Updated with participation through Tulsa game

1 Like

Interesting that Trahan played last night.

Updated with participation from East Carolina game. Donovan Mutin is now ineligible for 2018 redshirt as he played in his 5th game.

2 Likes

I think from your list that everybody below Julon Williams down is expected to redshirt and probably Williams too, barring injuries. Not to try to throw more work at you, but do you think there are some non freshman who we should track as possible redshirts? I know there was mention from somebody on this board about the possibility of redshirting Dormady. Maybe DJ Small too (still confused why he didn’t get a medical one last year)? Possible Darrion Owens as well if he takes a few more weeks to recover.

Can graduate transfers redshirt? I didn’t think so.

Good question, I went back and looked, and there are currently three upperclassmen scholarship players who could conceivably take a redshirt this year. One is Dormady. He has only played in two games this year, Rice and Arizona, and that may have been the reason we saw Tune against ECU. Another is D.J. Small, who has only played against Arizona and TSU. They wanted to redshirt him last year but he was forced into action. The third is Blake Young, who played in the first two games but hasn’t played since. We will be thin at NT next year with Ed moving on, so it would be nice to have Young next year to back up Fleming.

1 Like

I would think the rule that allows five years to play four years still controls re a graduate transfer. I think the only difference being a graduate transfer makes is that you are not required to sit out a year upon transferring.

With that said, I have no idea how many years Dormady has already used up.

1 Like

I see no reason for Dormady to redshirt. Why return another year if you have already graduated and all three QBs ahead of you (King, Bryson and Tune) are returning?

I’m delighted they are giving Tune reps! Either he or Bryson or King will be logical replacements for King. The only concern with giving him so many reps is whether Dormady would be as ready. While Tune clearly needs the experience, he appears to have excellent arm strength and moves very well. Coaches must like his potential. Now our coaches, Coogfans, are a different matter.

1 Like

I think he is still #2 and steps in if King goes down. Possibly even next year too depending on Tune’s development. I don’t think Bryson gets switched officially to QB until King leaves.

Maybe he wants to finish his master’s degree? If he was thinking about a pro career, I don’t think he would have come to Houston as he knew he wouldn’t be the starter.

2 Likes

Updated with participation from the Navy game.

1 Like

Updated with participation from the USF game.

2 Likes

Great job as always

Updated with participation from SMU game. Couple interesting notes, freshman DB Johnathan Phenix and freshman TE Spencer Wells both saw their first game action. Also, Garrett Davis was listed on the participation chart, but that had to be an error.

1 Like

They were within 4 games of the end of the season so it doesn’t hurt to mix those guys in.

Updated with participation from Temple game. Also there were some corrections to the participation chart from prior weeks. Zamar Kirven’s redshirt is officially off as he has played in 6 games.

1 Like

I am shocked we didn’t play Willie Smith last game. I guess they are really trying to keep him as a redshirt.