Remember King

Ask them for Art Briles as OC

1 Like

Tune ran Dana’s offense better than King. King left, nobody forced him out. Plenty to not be happy with as far as cougar football but King leaving ain’t one of them.

5 Likes

Maybe DH should’ve ran whatever the heck worked for King. You know the one that he scored 50 TDs in? Maybe he is satisfied with his guy averaging 3.5 yards/carry, 1.5td/turnover ratio, and less than 60% completion? He has his guy though. Great.

7 Likes

Dana seems to be a square peg in a circle hole kind of guy instead of making a square hole. Like he will live and die with a circle hole regardless of the peg. Because he knows best.

9 Likes

Thank you ma’am ! I’m not sure how you can stomach Coog fans , I’m one but they are a hard bunch to love . Merry Christmas to you and your family

3 Likes

Thank you, same to you as well.

Its not “his” offense so he doesnt care about winning.

1 Like

That was Briles offense not King’s. Did you want to make Baby Briles coach just so we could score but defense was wrecked by that tempo offense.

1 Like

Another Big “L” for Holgi.

1 Like

I’m not advocating for K. Briles as coach but you cannot put Briles at fault for doing his job.

K. Briles was brought in to be the Offensive Coordinator and to put up points. He did that very well.

If Briles needed to be reigned in to support defensive efforts, that’s on the Head Coach to do that. The HC plans the overall strategy, not the OC. The OC has one job, unless redirected.

4 Likes

Only Kopp can save Dana from the consequences of how he handled King.

2 Likes

Sounds like I may need to write a few emails of support for staying the course and build a freakin program for a change.

4 Likes

The stats from 2019 absolutely proves this and Tune had a bad hammy for many of last year’s games. DK did not do well running Dana’s offense and going through progressions and his long ball was way off along with throwing plenty into the dirt with the short routes. DK seemed comfortable in Briles offense when he didn’t need to make the progressions and knew where to throw the ball based upon the D’s read.

Man I wish I could see the light but nothing seems to be improving on our team except the defense has become better than it used to be. We have been able to be an offensive leader because we recruit little speedsters that can catch the ball that are too short to play anywhere else and quarterbacks that can scoot when the pocket falls apart, that are not recruited by other teams as quarterbacks. It is weird that we cannot do this.

I also supported the first Dana. And when it just did not look like there was light we cut him, and that was after 7 seasons of Helton, so we were not good in any aspect. Tony got cut for not getting better. Applewhite technically got better when little Briles started to use up tempo play designed around what was on the field.

CDH has a vision, but it might be impossible for us to have the line and supporting cast to do it. At t he very least he needs new offensive coaches across the board. We pay too well for these results. At best we need to be more than in the mix next season for an aac title, we need to look like we are coached.

I have a couple of friends that played for him when he was an OC, and they were not excited about the hire. One of these guys caught a few touchdowns from Case. Less than excited, more foreshadowing of what is happening. I thought they were crazy.

2 Likes

This is obviously the fault of Major Applewhite. It always is.

8 Likes

LOL!

2 Likes

If you review the national ranks and performance stats of our offense and defense we have improved significantly from last year from 2019 to 2020 on defense and the same is true if you point back to Major’s and D’Onofrio’s last year. We invested heavily with transfers into our defense and it has immediately paid off. This is clear fact in our defensive performance.

We have also improved on offense by over 10 positions from last year to this year. I realize it is difficult for people to see this, but the performance stats don’t lie.

In analyzing our offense, it all starts with our OL. You ask why, go look at our recruiting going back 5 years to the 2015 class. You need OL personnel for 5 years for them to grow and mature. We had no 5-year lineman due to a NFL entry and a transfer this past year to UM.

Major recruited one OL in 2017, only freakin one. That is insane. You must have 4 OL per year. We only have one left from 2016. OL holes in recruiting are huge and you can’t go young, they need to mature and when you add in injuries it is going to hurt more and deplete the ranks further. Until time fixes the OL we won’t be the offensive force we are used to seeing at UH. We have a long way to go to get to 2015/2016 talent, but we’re moving in that direction.

Fans typically stick to W/L record only for their evaluation of the program, but when you are rebuilding over multiple years you need to evaluate over far more parameters and criteria.

Dana was still pretty much an immature young middle ager when he was here under Sumlin. But he was still an Air Raid genius. The game has moved on from those days and all the gimmick offenses have learned to be stopped be DCs. It takes talented players executing these days to beat defenses. As Dana has said many times, you can’t out scheme teams any more like you use to during his Case days in Houston.

You need to give it time and be patient. Nobody was going to come in here and fix things over night like Herman did. Herman knew we were talented and stacked under Tony’s recruiting, he just changed the culture and made winners out of a program that didn’t know how to leverage its talent and win big. The talent pool slipped quick from Herman to Major quickly and our recruiting holes got badly exposed on D in 2017 and 2018 and that is what Dana needed to fix badly and he has made significant progress on that front.

Give it time and it will be fine in a couple more years. 2020 under Covid has been a throw away year for all across college football and 2019 was a RS investment year to begin to fill holes.

6 Likes

Believe me, I hope you are right. I don’t want our pilot to fail mid flight. But what a year to ‘appear’ to walk backwards. If next year is back to normal, there is little to no excitement. Even on a message board full of die hard fans you could tell during the game, which the majority of fans were not at due to our universe, that we just didn’t care or have any hope after about 5 minutes. That is going to take a long time to rebuild, and winning cures a lot.

If we aren’t winning next season, and winning fun, against some teams that are worth a crap, it is going to get ugly.

If person is associated with UT, Coogfans will say it’s their fault.

3 Likes

Kopp will probably redshirt next year and Mossoud may get some playing time if not the starter.

2 Likes