Replay Film Review: Defensive Backs and Pressure

are you counting delayed blitzs as 3? (line up as 3 but brought pressure, with lbs) no way there was 21…

i missed a few in last drive in the 1st half, we started that drive in prevent but switched back to pressure…i noticed almost all brought 3 plays were prevent on long yardage, or limited time on the clock drives…we did not have 21 plays like that

do you have time stamps?

From CMA

well, a delayed blitz isn’t a rush.

And in this game, the delayed blitz had 0 effect. It was useless. The blitz didn’t change one thing in terms of protection, hurries (0 in the game), sacks, anything. Why our DC chose to keep employing this “strategy” is beyond me.

Tech was 11/15 passing against the 3 man rush. They gained 9 first downs, had 2 touchdowns and threw for 168 yards. And that’s just what I saw - I didn’t watch the entire game, either.

2 Likes

Good research and good points Ryan.

Which means they had 32/44 passing against all other rushes/blitzes - 27 first downs, 7 touchdowns, and threw for 437 yards the rest of the game.

Looks like nothing we threw at them worked.

Could it possibly be that this kid Bowman is just one hell of a quarterback regardless of his age? The kid has been on point since coming in. Not saying we couldn’t have done more; we should have done more, but let’s give credit where it is due.

He hasn’t thrown a pick yet, he threw for nearly 300 yards and a TD against Ole Miss after being put in the game for the injured starter. He got a game to get his arm moving with Lamar. The kid is obviously good, and we know Kingsbury can coach. He coached Keenum, and look at him now. Mahomes seems to be doing alright…

Yes, I’m pissed, but I am not ready to throw the season out yet.

6 Likes

Totally agree 1000% although I think it’s worse. Let’s say you bring 2 on an ineffective delayed blitz. You actually take 2 players out of the defense. They aren’t covering anybody and they aren’t making a difference in the pass rush because the QB gets the ball out of his hands by the time the rushers actually reach the line of scrimmage. It’s like Tech was playing 11 on 9.

Pesik says we had 3 instances of a three-man rush. Major says we had “about 10” of those. The film says it was over 20.

Here are screenshots and commentary on the fronts we saw and Major’s remarks about them:

3 Likes

Not going to high-jack the work you did or the thread but I don’t think it’s a reach to say Major and other’s counting 3 men rushes, were counting plays when no one blitzed.

okay i justed checked a few of these and you are definitely counting delayed blitzs,
you are probably right that it wasnt effective but i think most people still count that as bringing pressure

i already noted in the OP i missed ,a few (mostly in the last drive of the 2nd quarter) when we went into prevent to stop them. i think it its probably in the 8 to 10 range where we actuially only brought 3

Turns out this thread is a useless as our pass rush.

5 Likes

why??
delayed blitz is bringing pressure, by every technical definition there is…

he is counting delayed blitz as not bringing pressure…
you can argue that is was ineffective or useless…but by every definition it classifies as bringing pressure

4 Likes

something i want to ask,…

some of you arent counting the delayed bltzs as bringing pressure/bringing players because it wasn’t effective

but our 6 man blitzs we also just as ineffective, are we counting the 6man blitz as not bringing pressure??

no amount of players we brought affected this game,

it seems that we are picking and choosing information to fit whatever narrative we want

6 Likes

I don’t remember the delay blitz accomplishing anything other than putting us in a position of playing 10 vs 11. We are basically taking one player out of the mix. Not in pass coverage and too late to create pressure on the quarterback.

1 Like

Spot on pesik. By this definition, if we threw an incomplete pass, it wasn’t a passing play because it wasn’t effective.

2 Likes

This goes both ways for the CMD sympathizers. They’d rather suggest he is doing his best by presenting anything contrary to how others feel. I have yet to see those people present an argument that suggests he has flaws.

I don’t think the sympathizers are saying he is doing a good job. They are just trying to show that what some people say he is being accused of is inaccurate.

6 Likes

lol Right, they are, in every instance, not just this one. This is carryover from last year. Have they presented anything that suggests he is NOT doing a good job? It’s become this “Hey don’t talk about my DC, I’ll attack your argument” bit. It’s never the other way around.

i dont think that is true. im not even sure we have CMD sympathizers, im pretty sure 99% of people here would welcome a new dc next season…

i think the debate is what is the flaw in the defense vs tech and just how bad our defense is…
i think the divide is:

1. we are the worst of the worst, saying its because we dont bring pressure and dont pass rush…any db unit would look bad with that much time in the pocket

2. we brought pressure, he didnt have the much time in the pocket, the flaw is in our db unit, and our defense isn’t good but its not as bad as it looked vs tech considering how long they were out there

1 Like

I think it’s a little of “nobody can criticize our crappy coach except me and maybe my friends and if you aren’t one of those then you are a troll. And a bad Coog.
And a member of whatever group I despise”.
And a Tsip.

2 Likes

I have a lot of respect for the opinions you offer on here, but this isn’t one of them. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t recall seeing a single person say CMD is doing a good job. I’ve seen some say his numbers are pretty similar to CTO, or that maybe there are other factors contributing to his woeful numbers (missed tackling, mediocre to bad CBs, etc.), but no one has said he is good. I have actually really enjoyed this debate (absent the name calling and summary dismissal of opposing viewpoints). It has been enlightening for those of us who aren’t Xs and Os gurus. I enjoy seeing the film breakdown and seeing how much goes on that I don’t recognize while just watching the game. So, shoutout to @xsmithcoog116, @pesik, @Manster54, @anon62323653 and others who have spent a lot of time breaking things down, showing the film, offering opinions, etc. Even if we don’t agree, it’s still helpful and appreciated.

6 Likes