Salman Rushdie why did it happen?

Has anyone questioned on how could this attempted murder happen?

There was a fatwa against Rushdie dating back decades now.
He is invited to deliver a speech in an auditorium and he gets attacked by a radicalised vermine?

Why was Salman Rushdie not protected like he should have been? That makes no sense. Reports said he was stabbed 17 times. How could this happen?

1 Like

Mods please move my thread with law’s. I did not see his post.

To answer one of your questions with another question, how do you imagine that we would protect him?

Private citizens generally aren’t entitled to secret service protection.

To answer the other as to why this happened: the answer is because there are Jihadi extremists that hate us for reasons GWB mentioned: because they hate our freedoms, one of which is freedom of speech, including the speech that Rushdie engaged in.

2 Likes

100% disagree. Mr. Rushdie has had security detail for years. Knowing he was an international/fatwa target makes no sense he was not better protected.

He had a UK security detail for a long time.

But in the USA, private citizens don’t get secret service protection as a general rule.

1 Like

The fact that he was not better protected falls on the organizer. That has to be looked at. That makes no logical sense.

That’s a private entity.

Not sure a private arts entity can provide much in the way of hired guns.

I’m guessing it’s a non-profit.

Maybe, if he decides to expose himself he should get his own security team.

There were two armed guards with him. But they must have been train in Uvalde as private citizens were the ones that eventually caught the attacker.

The guy who did wasn’t even born when the book was written. Did he just do it out of his beliefs or did he receive something to do it. Finding out his contacts and how this was set up is key. We should all be concerned that it happened in America. Is there a reason why he didn’t use a gun?

As I asked before, if you don’t succeed in actually killing the target, then do you still get the fatwa money?

2 Likes

I think Iran removed the fatwa a few years back, according to reports, so no money for this idiot.

Does any of this include the virgins or is that only for the dudes that blow themselves up. Maybe he forfeits the money but still gets the girls in heaven.

Are you sure?

Iran’s GOVERNMENT repudiated it, but it remains in place, with a bounty increased to $3 million from some semi-governmental religious group.

That norbert is a fine post.

I must have assumed that since the Iranian government rescinded the fatwa, it was done, but yeah, the article mentions the religious group picked it up like an NIL. He’ll never see freedom, and he didn’t complete the act, so looks like he threw his life away.

By definition a fatwa can never be rescinded unless the supreme leader puts a fatwa on the one(s) executing the fatwa.
This is why it makes no sense Mr. Rushdie was attacked like he was.
Something is very, very, very wrong.

Salman Rushdie had turned his infamy into a money making scheme. He even did an episode on Season 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm where he explained to Larry David the benefits of having a Fatwa on his head, including in his words, “Fatwa Sex”.

BTW - Season 9 may be Curb’s best season ever!

Just so everyone understands, I am not excusing attempted murder, just pointing out that Mr. Rushdie had been walking around so long after the Fatwa that he probably assumed that it was forgotten.

I think Salman needs this dude’s assistance with getting the Fatwa removed:

I doubt it was a “scheme” in his mind. Imagine having a price on your head for 30 years. I know they made fun of it in “Curb”, but in the end, I would bet he would rather not be hunted, especially now that it caught up to him. I dislike extremists of any religion, and this one is extreme.

Oh no question, but still, if you know that extremists are coming for you, making fun of it on national tv is not exactly a good way to keep a low profile.

Of course, you can take the opposite approach and say eff it, I am going to live my life as a free person, regardless of the consequences. I imagine that he believed the latter.