Sasser Update

“He did some things today,” UH coach Kelvin Sampson said Wednesday. "Broke a sweat. Did some shooting drills. He didn’t go full speed. So that’s the update. I don’t know. We’ll see. Game is at 8:20 (Thursday) night. It’s one of those infamous game-time decisions, I guess. We’ll see.

Sasser said Wednesday an MRI on his groin came back negative.

“If the doctors think he can play, and if he wants to play and we’re not risking further injury, then he will play,” Sampson said. “If he is, he won’t. Simple as that. But if we don’t, we got some other kids on scholarship we’ll throw out there.”

20 Likes

I would kill to see that mri

8 Likes

Rest him up in the 1st round. Make it a game time decision minutes before the Auburn/Iowa 2nd rd game.

8 Likes

LOL. “Oh yeah, the Sasser kid. Eh, we got more of those on the bench.”

2 Likes

If he doesn’t play tomorrow night I don’t think there’s going to be that much of a difference (health wise) if he were to play on Saturday. However if he does play tomorrow he could certainly aggravate it and make it worse. So you can definitely see the potential benefit of giving him a few more days to heal.

The idea situation would be to rest him until next Thursday or friday but in my opinion I think we will need him against Iowa/AUB (assuming we take care of NKU tomorrow night).

The bigger question is not when he plays but how effective will he be when he plays? Especially the way we play defense.

2 Likes

Negative for what? An MRI isn’t a thumbs up or thumbs down test. I’m guessing it was negative for a tear?

3 Likes

My groin started coming back negative when I turned 65.

27 Likes

It’s tourney time… He’s playing tomorrow.

1 Like

Why? It is a mild groin sprain, not much to see

I work in physical therapy and an MRI can also show inflammation. But in my professional opinion an extra 2 day rest could make a difference in terms of healing. But being rusty and from lack on playing from a neuromuscular aspect can be big as well.

8 Likes

Lateral movement speed which what the adductors muscle are required for is a must in CKS defense. So I’m sure he might be a liability on defense how Dejon was during the final 4 year. That’s IF the mild sprain is still bothering him. Everyone heals differently.

3 Likes

Coach playing mind games on his opponent lol. Not giving too much info! Staying coy!

1 Like

Because negative doesn’t really cut it as an MRI read

Who knew Eric was a radiologist :writing_hand:

:roll_eyes::face_exhaling: you don’t have to be a radiologist. It’s true. An MRI that’s negative for Groin doesn’t mean it’s good. Also that type of “hernia” would require surgery if it’s mild or bad. So i hope and pray he’s good and we’re good for the season.

1 Like

Actually he is a radiologist.

1 Like

Of course for our sake Sasser hopefully is good else the prognosis of Coogs are not very good. Hate to state the obvious. It is not like last year where there was experienced bench that has more than half the season to prepare for this. This is a bunch of freshmen who have yet to figure out fully CKS defense, forget about being comfortable. This is no joke.

2 Likes

You mean the ones that lost by 10 to Memphis?

1 Like

Who was this experienced bench?

4 Likes

We lost 2 games to Memphis last season by double-digits