SEC/AAC vs BIG/P12/ACC

not the autobids they are talking about. He isn’t against top 6 conference champs he is against autobids for P5 conference champs. Those that want to make the P5 automatic are stupid, after all if they are worthy, then that, and the top 6 conference champs are the same thing. If they aren’t… then they weren’t worthy of that autobid anyway.
At least at first, most years the P5 champs will be in.

I guess I didn’t explain like I should’ve.

If you win you’re in leaves no room for subjectivity. The minute you start with the “highest ranked” BS, all you have is subjectivity. No bueno.

A system where a team like, I dunno, say 2021 Houston, that could go 13-0 and stay home (and never be considered champion worthy) simply because someone thought that those 13 weren’t as good as someone else’s 12 reeks of bovine manure.

No other sport is so overly corrupt that way.

Memo to the SEC:
If you can’t be the best in your conference you can’t be the best.

1 Like

This. Let Ken Pomeroy build it.

1 Like

Its not fancy schmancy Ai…its just mathematic formulas set by humans. If they’re going to do it the formulas need to published and open to criticism.

Tell you what a good compromise would be…if they’re not going to expand to 16 and include all conference, P5 & G5, champions in…

7 top conf champs get in. If Pac12 doesn’t have confidence they’d make it then…then they should pack it in and let another conference take their P5 status.

1 Like

I agree. 16 teams and all-conference champs plus 6 at larges is what it should be. They just won’t go there yet. 12 teams with 6 highest-rated conference champions is a step in that direction though. Not protecting half the conferences is a pretty big win.

1 Like

I think we get there (to 16 team all inclusive) in 10 years or so if they go 12 teams now with home games the 1st round and byes for top 4.

I posted it before but I think programs like Bama sitting around for a week watching other programs rake in $10Million plus in tickets/concession/merchandise for a home game that they didn’t have a chance to play will move the needle…especially when they realize that home game would be a basically a warm up game vs say a Sunbelt or MAC team.

2 Likes

The 12 team playoff models are about money and recruits.

• Top 6 conference champs give G5s hope that 2 conferences can make it in and will also give them a boost in recruiting since they have a reasonable path to the playoffs. P5s could lose millions if not one of the top 6.

• The 5+1 model reinforces the P5 status of being an autobid conference which keeps top recruits flowing to those schools. Although the Big12 will probably be a top 6 conference champ year after year, I believe this model is best for the Big12 for perception purposes since we do not have a blueblood.

2 Likes

^^^^^^^^^

One plan is based on meritocracy the other entitlement. America is suppose to be about meritocracy, right? At least that’s what we profess as a culture.

1 Like

Let Pearland roll out his 12…one day at a time. No espn, no polls, no AI, no corruption. Just one man’s excellence.

1 Like

And eventually Skynet.

2 Likes

I know is pie in the sky, but unless every (not just P5) conference champion doesn’t get a shot then its not a fair system.

In CBB, Rice starts with the exact same ability to win a National Championship as us, and that how it should be. If you’re not good enough to win your conference you shouldn’t get an automatic chance to compete to be the best team in the country.

Edited for clarity.

I split the difference here a bit in that every conference champion should have a chance to automatically get in, and that chance should not rely on subjective criteria.

If you win your conference and either 11 games total (including CCG) or 8 conference games, you’re automatically in.

Genuinely not enthusiastic about a Western Kentucky getting in if they upset UTSA (but am fine with UTSA getting in).

(This is all dreaming, of course. UTSA cases are never getting in even if they are undefeated.)

Right now the benefits of being a p5 are:
-the conference sets its own rules (which isn’t a big deal)
-the conf gets more tv money (this is a big deal)
-the conf gets more respect from all (this is a big deal)
-the conf champ gets an auto bid to a major bowl
(this is a big deal and some other good bowl ties)

Now if no auto bids are there for the p5 champ then
the only lasting thing we or any p5 gets is the tv money.

Negatives would be:

-conf respect will be reduced bc then you can be in any conf of the 10 and still make the playoffs which is what the g5 wants to eat away at p5 prestige
-the big bowls like sugar, cotton, fiesta etc that were once there for the p5s won’t be there bc they likely tie those and all big bowls into the playoffs and the playoffs will be the big prize just as now where there are 2 prizes for p5s which are the 4 team playoffs along with an auto bid to a major bowl.

We’re now p5 so we have to fight like a p5 and I’d think our commish should do the same and it’s the reason the Acc, Pac12 and Big10 want the auto where as the sec doesn’t care as much bc they will get in for sure. If you moved to The USA you should fight for The USA and not the country you came from.

Plus , if you don’t have auto bids for p5 and the 1 g5, you leave it up to the polls to be subjective and screw certain conferences like the big12 and G5’s.If they leave it as p5 auto and 1 g5 auto then you still have 6 slots to be subjective then there is less drama about who got the short end of the deal.

If you think the big12 will someday no longer be a p5 then I see your point but right now we’re p5 which will last.

Sorry for the long post but I had to chime in again.

16 teams

All the conference champs. - Because that is what a real playoff is.
The rest at large - This would be the rest of the top 10 in the polls.

The biggest complaint would be why #12 did not get in which I am fine with.

This format would open the new markets and bring in new revenue. Plus the bowls would have more meaning if they were part of a playoff. Everyone wins. Football is saved.

1 Like

Wouldn’t any worse than what we have now.

I’ve advocated a 16 school playoff. Let someone seed the teams, but the 16 are

• 10 P5 schools (Conference champions get top seeds, CCG losers get low seeds.)
  • G5 gets 5 seeds (Conference champions.)
  • One seed for an independent or another P5/G5 school,
  • Conference champions are seeded 1-10 (Added benefit for being a conference champion.)
  • Six at-large seeded 11-16.
  • Opening round is on campus at the higher seed.

Closest thing to a meritocracy. But will probably never happen.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1466177667422642187?t=YOJDq_mAuLiRa_dLAtwNNw&s=03

I mean, there’s a zero % chance we’re going to make the playoff, but I’ll still be stoked if we’re the American Conference Champions this weekend…

It appears the PAC12 commish wants to have the new playoff agreement among the P5s first then take it to everyone else what is decided on.
https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN/status/1466954358914904064?t=IMUyHeR25PYG8IdCKXxfow&s=03