SEC expansion: motivations and cautionary tales

Too bad your Aggies had to turn it down.

When was an actual vote taken to extend membership? A “sponsorship” is all well and good, but it doesn’t mean you have the votes or, in this case, that a vote even took place. Hillary Clinton had “sponsors” to become president, but she didn’t have the electoral votes.

Much like the Legislative Process (where any language is agreed upon, votes are “whipped” before anything is scheduled publicly), the same applies to NCAA and conference “public policy”…The SEC was gathered and told to unanimously extend invites to tu and ou before they actually publicly announced the extension. UH and A&M were vetted by SEC in 1990, but there were no invitations extended when it was clear there would be no acceptance by both schools.

1 Like

Actually, Houston and Miami were proposed as SEC members one year, many years ago.(.late 1950s, or early 1960s, i do not remember exact year…) Our sponsor was the number 1 program in SEC at that time, Ole Miss…And we had the support of Ole Miss,Miss state, Kentucky, Tennessee and several other schools… But RICE went behind our backs and persuaded LSU and someone else to vote NO…I remember we lost the admission battle by ONE vote…So we came very close to joining SEC , and were basically stopped by Rice and their influence…

3 Likes

Just one of several reasons that I would never play Rice in any sport !

Just like ut !!

3 Likes

Here’s Pesik’s post that including both the 1956 and 1990 newspaper clippings on Houston invite to the SEC.

The 2nd article mentions Rudy Davalos who was the UH athletic directory in 1990. The same one @MonCoog told us he worked with at the time, and revealed in multiple posts of the on-the-ground happenings.

That’s a lot of smoke for the 1990 expansion. Granted it was dependent on Pac10 taking UT/ATM or ATM joining w/ UH, but even as a partner or a bargaining chip, UH was a candidate to move over there had the chips fell a little better.

2 Likes

I hate rice and we helped them.

3 Likes

…and there are still some people that will fight you tooth and nail that we were never invited…We know where their allegiance is with.

2 Likes

No joke…

The link to a fan post indicates UH was still being considered in 2010.

Key phrase being “fan post”.

Remember Rice also beat us out of the stadium Brown and Root built on their campus . We were suppose to share 50/50! They made it as difficult as possible to schedule our games . I fault our admin at the time for not fighting harder for us .We gave up .

1 Like

Rice basically never helped us at all but again, we helped them into cusa.

1 Like

Fick Ruce.

3 Likes

NO true blue UH fan should cheer for Rice in games other than UH, and NO true blue UH fan should like Rice, given our history.

In the 1950s, Jess Neely tried to push us down to what would now be a lower level.

Screw Rice!!!

4 Likes

Rice and ut suck in that regard , trying to hold us down. At least A&M said bring in UH once they left and were ok going with us to the sec that Ut nixed. A&M doesn’t fear us as much as rice and UT so I like them way better over the yrs vs those 2.

2 Likes

The A&M suggesting Houston kind of felt like a taunt. Haha we’re leaving and you get HOUSTON!

Or at least a lot of Aggies seemed to act that way.

And A&M notably hasn’t played us.

Seems like the only friend we’ve ever really had might have been… SMU. At least reportedly we struck up some sort of alliance to get accepted into the Big East together.

Which is to say we’ve got no friends…

4 Likes

Rice was the reason it took so long for us to get into the SWC. They were the blocking vote and last holdout.

3 Likes

TT was the only Texas school in the B12 to play us since bleachergate.

1 Like