Serious Question

Yeah, my daughter had a swim meet canceled on Saturday because of the lightning

1 Like

Wasnā€™t in Houston, but the 2018 game vs SMU had a 90 minute rain delay. Sadly that was a late in the game delay when we were getting blown out while heavily favored and ranked. Donā€™t know why I didnā€™t leave that game, but I donā€™t leave early. Thank you UH band for entertaining us on the concourse

2 Likes

We were at that game! The band was great entertainment during the wait.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realize they even had these and utilized them in little league. Hats off to the league
for having that much foresight. Iā€™d like to have one, but they are kinda pricey. If I hear thunder,
I tell the kids to get in the house. I do look at local news weather app now that shows strikes and assumed if 5 miles away it was okay. May consider doubling my safety zone to 10 now.

Cool story about the tires being blown out in the parking lot by lightening. Never heard that before.

I always thought it silly to have to shut down the pool when it rains ā€“ until this.
Lightning strikes water:

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool, but it sure looks like they were setting explosives to dredge a canal or something.

When Iā€™ve seen lightning hit water, it didnā€™t even disturb the surface that I could see. It did make some fish float, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yea, that looked like fuse crossing the ground

It was listed under serious lightning strikes, Iā€™ll take it as advertised.

They played BudBones for the first time in a while

1 Like

The 10 mile rule has been around for at least 30 years. I was taught it when I was a boy scout leader in the late 80s.

1 Like

Thanks! Some how , some way I missed that fact. I was reading yesterday that lightening
can travel 10-12 miles.

Lightning rarely strikes a person
but it can strike nearby
Once the lightning strikes and travels through the ground, it creates voltage drops gradients across the ground and then to where people are standing.
If you are standing with your feet apart, one foot can be on voltage gradient and the other foot on another voltage gradient, causing a current to flow up one foot and down the other. Voltage does not kill current does.

So the solution if in a lightning storm keep your feet together and no problem

abbreviated explanation

PS do not get under a tree but out in the open with your feet together/ better still get indoors trees draw the lightning and then runs down the tree and across the ground

Iā€™m not disputing your veracity. Iā€™m just thrown off a bit by the fuse cutting across the ground.

Same. That, and the floating debris and churning mud make it look like detonations, unless that was a strike on a pipeline or something.

Whatever, though. Lightning is bad. Struck my momā€™s house and burned it to the ground.