Shot

When the last shot was taken there was 1.5 seconds on the clock. When the commercial was over there was 1.7 seconds on the clock

Thank god for commercials and clock checks and .2 seconds might have maid a difference

IMHO

3 Likes

You don’t foul there. With 1.7 sec. Left they knew we would shoot as soon as we got the ball. You foul there and you give us 3 free throws needing to make 1 to win.

2 Likes

I think Goldwire did.

Penny coaches? That’s new to me.

2 Likes

Think I became the millionth viewer of that shot on CBS sports. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

When you look at the entire sequence it was masterly executed by the Coogs. Earlier in the half Sasser made an outstanding bounce pass but the half court pass was terrific. Dejon and Grimes were decoys at the mid court wings. Tramon broke to mid court all the while screening Quiones (ms) away from the ball. Quick pivot back up court and the rest is history. And yes this was just as awesome as Rose’s jumper at the Summit to beat the Arkansas triplets!

1 Like

He Coached his Team to tie game w 1.7 sec left on the road against #9 Team, who had won 24 straight at Home.

3 Likes

I watched Rose’s bucket from my seat at the opposite end of the court. It was a thing of beauty and blew the lid off the Summit. But, Tramon Mark’s air strike was far more improbable and dramatic in my opinion.

2 Likes

The same guy that has top 5 recruiting classes and 0 NCAA tourney in 3 years he’s at Memphis. Extend ECU head coach already!!

First season was 18/19 and missed Tourney. Last year- Covid, this year TBD. All I know is they are # 2 in Nation in Defensive efficiency n CKS gives him compliments all the time. I’m not some huge Penny fan, just thk he’s better Coach, Recruiter etc than what’s he gets credited for on here.

Edit-- 19/20 team Wiseman plays couple gms only-- 1st rd pick- GldSt, Auchuia leaves after Freshman year to NBA.

2 Likes

The biggest thing for me about penny is I see a lack of discipline in the culture to the play on the court. I believe he will need to recruit at a very high level to to have success.

2 Likes

Which Memphis always seems to be able to do…

This I believe to be true. The culture part has not taken place yet. But from a scheme standpoint I see some good thgs his Teams do. May need to mix in some 3 star grinders who will stay at least 3 yrs to move program in more upward trajectory.

2 Likes

Nice to see some coverage from Channel 2 tonight. Lots of praise and recognition.
Happy Birthday to Coach V coming from this poster and the U of H Basketball seniors.

Didn’t Brown (I’m blanking on his first name) hit a half court heave to end the first half against Maryland in the 2010 Tournament?

Yeah…it is called CHEATING and they have been doing it for 40 + years !

1 Like

Define success. They managed to make the NIT their first two years under Penny and are likely headed there again this year (barring a great AACT run). They’re poised to breakthrough and make the tourney in year four. That puts him basically right on pace with CKS’s rebuild at UH. 2 NIT’s first three seasons and then BOOM! I hate Memphis as much if not more than the next guy but I think its pretty clear that Penny has them on the right track.

1 Like

Don’t know if you saw Gorham’s comments in the post-game press conference video posted elsewhere, but he said that Coogs practiced that play occasionally throughout the season. He also said it never worked in practice. Today’s game was the first time they actually hit the shot!

Much easier rebuild being able to recruit as he does. Sampson didn’t have the same luxury or resources when he took the UH job.
If Memphis beats us Sat they will be the favorite to win the tournament. However, you saw Memphis play as well as they have all season today. You may not think as highly of Penny if you saw his team turn it over 26 times last week.

1 Like

He was also a seasoned coach with 20-30 years of experience. Penny was a 1st time head coach. Coaches like players get better with experience. JS