Should our personnel determine our next coach?

Then I misunderstood your post. It happens.

Going back to the original post, looking to next year with Ed, do we have 4 legit DTs on the roster who we can count on for the rotation? I think we would at minimum want that for a 4-3 and have a couple other guys as well. I know we have 2 DTs committed currently, but I still feel we are light at that position if we switch to a 4-3. DE I would say we have a lot of strength at, how many of those guys could move over and be effective?

If we do have enough talent, what about a 4-2-5?

Difference was that it was Judas first year as an unknown. Mayor was an assistant at UH before and it’s his 2nd season as head coach.

I don’t know about having 4 recruits that played DT in high school. I do know we are easily 3 deep in recruits that were listed as defensive ends. I never played defensive line but I imagine the conversion from defensive end to defensive tackle isn’t as big as the conversion from defensive end to nose tackle.

This is more correct than blaming CMA for attendance.

I have seen three different UH head coaches try to move to a 4-3 defense. Every single one has reverted back to a 3-4 within two years.

1 Like

So do any of you think attendance issues should be blamed on the ticketing office. I do not recall them keeping the seat prices the same one year since TDECU has been open. These are the same geniuses who thought it was a good idea to take the family plan away only to bring it back in season. Or how they punish season ticket holders by releasing tickets the week of a game at prices lower than the season ticket holder paid for the same seats.

1 Like

I hope we don’t switch to a 4-3. Defensive line recruiting has been lack luster depth-wise. We have bodies but are they big and strong enough to make the switch? Idk 3-4 makes the most sense but sign 10 DBs a class until we get some consistency back there. lol

what a topic!! they are 4-1 aren’t they? Don’t get me wrong, during the games I am extremely irrational, but once the game is over and the Victory is at hand people need to learn to enjoy the win. Hope CMA keeps winning, and is here for 20 yrs.

3 Likes

I agree 230. Whomever the next DC is, they must be flexible enough to adapt their scheme to the talent on hand. It would be great if the candidate actually could show when they were able to actually pull this off successfully. Just never know what the next years recruiting outcomes will be.

If there is blame to be assigned, i just can’t say who the “lack of attendance” should be blamed on. Seems like there is plenty to go around, but minus late 2015/early 2016, I also think that it is as good as we have ever had it.
There seems to be no creativity or consistency in our pricing packages. I am not overly concerned with last minute sales being at a cheaper cost than the price of my season tickets. That is probably pretty consistent with other programs, but I would like to see more promotions to put butts in seats even if the revenue from sales doesn’t make that much. Cheap seats to youth programs, veterans, first responders, high school band programs, etc might just create some future fans and if they all just buy a bottle of water, it’s better than the seat being empty.
The program also need more hype. That is mainly the job of the AD & staff (IMO) but CMA could make a little more effort to show more excitement. He does enough radio shows, etc to get a message out. Maybe he needs some coaching on a message to deliver. Marketing is just not his primary job. Maybe the AD or Dr Khator could strongly suggest that some off season training in the area would be a good idea for both him and selected members of his staff. However, his primary job is still to deliver wins.
Concerning, the fans leaving early. That is really hard to deal with. If the team is playing just so so or has blown out the opponent or is way behind, it’s hard to keep some people interested. It’s almost has if we need a close back and forth game to maintain interest. Maybe we need some type of promotion that only those on there way out after the game can participate in. Game days/times also play a roll. So do our opponents. Nothing we can do about our conference schedule but hope the whole conference gets better. I do think we need to upgrade the OOC. I get the TSU deal but I would rather see 3, even 4 P5 opponents in the OOC. Some will say this makes the schedule too tough and we’ll take needless losses. That might be true. I do like wins, but championships just seem more important and the tougher schedule should better prepare the team for conference competition.
Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

1 Like