Smith vs Chriss. Who’s QB1?

We were a G5 as well, yet we’ve had some great players come through here during those 27 long years. Twelve G5 players made the AP All American team this past year.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter who it is, were gonna get ARSE POUNDED this year anyways. It takes longer to rebuild a football program and we are one Step 1. I wanna see what the other guy can do. I’ve seen Donovan and walk away with a solid “m’eh.”

1 Like

I don’t think it does since the advent of the Portal. Northwestern just went from 1-11 to 8-5, South Florida from 1-11 to 7-6. A lot depends on how the players who transferred here and Smith perform.

2 Likes

That’s the key. Is he fully healthy and “mentally” healthy after his surgery. Either way we have two QB’s fighting it out. This is only going to make them better. Our senior barring any surprises should start but this competition is going to greatly benefit Chriss. We have the perfect HC to manage this “battle”

1 Like

One of the first stats I look at is not listed - TD to int ratio. Only saw a listing for last 4 games of Chriss.

Next stat I look at for the QB is the skills at O-line. Then go from there at all other numbers.

Overall, I expect Smith, if healthy, to start. He has way more experience with the Big 12 defenses (or any high end) if Chriss only played at Louisiana.

You literally just described Jamies Winston :joy:

2 Likes

With all the new faces on the OL, UH will need two QBs with starting experience.

5 Likes

So are we supposed to pretend like we weren’t playing G5 games a year ago? Tank Dell never played in the big12, did he not have the “IT” factor? Come on now. We haven’t been in P5 that long to have this mindset.

11 Likes

I don’t follow your reasoning on Jamies. You need a ton of luck to succeed in the nfl. He has had a ton of bad luck with injuries.

We overpaid Chriss if he can’t beat out Smith for the job.

4 Likes

Great write up, but I think it’s Smith.

I am thinking Smith, but I could seeing it being Chriss.

Overpaid what?

Exactly

Ok gotcha. Bc those $$ #s that were being thrown out there on what it took for him to come here were BOGUS. Donavan would have been long gone, top 2 RB’s, Receivers etc. Amazing what gets put out as Facts.

1 Like

No idea on the real numbers. If we did give him anything of significance, I’d hope he has the skill to at least push Smith to the brink.

I’ll say the same thing I did last season. If Smith wins the job, I’m concerned.

2 Likes

I agree w the last part unfortunately.

On the first part, its already been discussed in the past on another thread. So I’ll leave it alone.

2 Likes

Like when Herman took over

Who would have been better than Smith last year?

Yeah, how could a G5 QB be expected to do well in a P5 team? Like these QBs that never got to start on a P5 team but seemed to do OK in the NFL:
Bret Favre
Terry Bradshaw
Johnny Unitas
Josh Allen
Ben Roethlisberger
Roger Staubach
Doug Williams
Kurt Warner

Need I go on?

2 Likes