So how many players didn’t play any this season

Post too long i’m out!

3 Likes

Wow, this really has you worked up. If it upsets you so much, why watch? How do you know they were lying on the couch? Maybe the game was on while on the treadmill?

All 3 of our guys who opted out dealt with injuries during the season. Judging by your posts, you seem to me way more selfish than those guys. Football players go to college for the same reason any of us did, to get prepared for their career. Those guys didn’t need to play in an additional game just to make you happy. They got their offer to the senior bowl and made the right call to get ready for that. Just like if you got your dream offer with one class left on your schedule that did not mean anything and the job was telling you to not worry about, I would guess you wouldn’t risk the job offer to finish that class.

1 Like

You preparing for the NFL draft ? ? ? ? ?

My replies to HoustonCoogster are in bold.

I heard the excuse that they need to prepare for the NFL draft. Shoot, the draft doesn’t take place until towards the end of April! That’s over four months away!
A torn ACL takes longer than that to heal.

Every bowl game is important no matter how insignificant the payout or reputation of the bowl game is.
I’m not even sure the dozen or so that watched the game agree with you put much stock in the importance of the NM Bowl.

If they played well it is another reason for an NFL team to invest in them, such as Calvin Turner had done.
Calvin Turner was not invited to the Senior Bowl; apples and oranges.

This bowl game was especially important for all three of these players since none of them are sure-fire first round draft picks, especially Stuard since many people don’t even think he is an NFL level player and he should jump at the opportunity to showcase his talent as much as possible!
Grant was invited to the Senior Bowl which will go much further in upping his draft stock than the NM Bowl. Regardless, none of the 3 will be first round picks.

Frankly, I am just sick and tired of players acting like prima-donnas and quitting on their team on the most important game of the season and this has got to stop!
It’s so easy to tell someone else to jeopardise their one shot at a future that so few can even think of. These kids have worked their butts off for years, going through pain and injury, to position themselves to just get a chance, however slim, at an NFL career. You really don’t know what you would do if you were in their same situation and had lived a kid’s same life.

I appreciate all that these kids have done for UH football, and all of the sacrifices they have made while doing so. They have provided a whole lot of thrills for me during their careers at UH and will always be Coogs.

Anyone who thinks these bowls are important, without looking it up, who won the New Mexico Bowl last year? How about the Liberty Bowl? The Texas Bowl? The Music City Bowl? The Outback Bowl? OK how about who won the First Responder Bowl yesterday? Again, without looking it up?

5 Likes

Oh man, now you did it. You know nobody wants to admit that the bowl against Army was probably one of the worst matchups in bowl history. The #2 rushing offense/#10 defense/statistically one of the greatest Army teams of all time matched against a team that had lost its entire front seven/playing third string linemen/all being coordinated by a guy who was one year removed from being a Graduate Assistant.

Bowl games are so meaningless… we fired the guy for having the audacity to lose to a team who we were completely outmatched against.

2 Likes

I think its pretty disingenuous to act like the bowls don’t matter. I mean are you saying that beating Penn St. or Pitt didn’t matter? How about losing to Army a few years ago? Are they the most important games on the schedule? Maybe not but to act like they’re meaningless is silly. Every game on the schedule matters and imo there was a lot at stake the other day.

2 Likes

The year is still 2020 and those guys are still UH students. The school is still covering their tuition, books, and room and board. How is this bowl game an extra game? Maybe to you entitled pre-madonnas with the “Me, me, me!” character it is, but as far as I’m concerned it is not.

I guess it is extremely hard to explain things to people that only see things in term of how everything must benefit them personally, but to me I see things differently. If I signed my name to play for a school or do anything in life, I would honor it 100% until the job is completely done! I don’t see playing in a bowl game as something that is an extra thing that you do for your school as a favor. As if it’s an optional thing. As long as I’m still a member of the team and qualified to play, I see it as something that I must do. I see it as 100% my duty to fulfill it!

Your “Me, me, me” attitude would not jibe in the NFL. Imagine if you’re a professional football player and it is playoff time and then you pull one of these “Hey Coach, I’m not gonna play in the playoff this year because I don’t want to risk an injury and so I’m gonna sit out on the playoffs this year! Oh, I feel I have that right to sit out because, for one thing, I have already fulfilled my obligation anyway since I have already played every single regular season game!” How many people are going to say: “Okay, no problem. We understand.” Don’t kid yourself!

The bowl game is the college’s version of the post season. Everybody should participate in it if they’re healthy. Those guys are still attending UH and are still members of the football team until the season is over. You have a self-centered, entitled world view. Sorry, I don’t share your sentiments. Hawaii beat our asses because they have players that think beyond their own individual self and a much greater view of what it means to be a member of a team.

It’s also why China is kicking our asses in business because of that very reason. While you are crying about that country and trying to destroy their reputation through your propaganda against them, they don’t even badmouth against the US. They simply work hard as a team to make their country better. Maybe selfish people should learn something about being a team player instead of thinking about themselves all the time! There’s nothing wrong to think in term of the greater good that is simply beyond yourself. You may not see any goodness coming out of playing the last game of the season, but to me it means everything.

It definitely shows just how committed you are to the team and it could also show why the team is doing so poorly this year. Like maybe the entire season you were too into yourself to give it your all because you don’t see the point of giving it your all since you don’t think it’s going to benefit you that much anyway since you think you already had it made in the NFL? Or maybe you sat out over half the season because you suffered a slight injury that only took two weeks to recover, but because you only want to make it to the NFL and not really care about your team so you ended up not playing for three months? These kinds of questions do entered people’s minds if a player is proven to be selfish.

2 Likes

Bingo. It is an exhibition, but it is always good to end on a positive note to build momentum going into the next year.

2 Likes

Shoot, you can add who have won the Orange Bowl to that list without looking up to your list. They don’t have to know about the detail about the bowls that you have won or lost, but it matters when ESPN commentators said your school has lost the last 4 bowl games in a roll! It matters to those top recruits who are deciding between your school and another school and say to themselves: “Why should I go to UH when they got embarrassed badly by a mediocre Hawaii team with a first year headcoach when I could go to College B that has just won its bowl game in spectacular fashion?”

It also matters when the Hawaii fans say that their school owned your school in bowl games!

Shoot, just by seeing all of the crying and all of the callings for the headcoach’s head after the loss to Hawaii shows you how deeply it matters! You tell me, you don’t feel the embarrassment and the ache in your heart after watching Hawaii kicking our asses? Please! If you truly care about the school I’m sure you would feel the same way as I do!

I attended and/or listened to UH football games for many years, beginning back in the early '60’s. Enjoyed many memorable games and went to 4 Cotton Bowl games. Life pulled me away from games for a period of time but I did, whenever possible, watch games on TV. That is, until one bowl game between UH and OU. The UH football game quit early in the 3rd quarter. Until just recently, (UH-Navy), I came back to active participation in UH Football. The moral of this story is ONE BOWL GAME destroyed my desire to follow UH Football. Every game is important to someone, and sometimes, that someone helps pay the freight . . . . .

Not with the offense that Dana is calling

Do you ever take off your Cougar Rose Colored Glasses?

They all graduated and were done with classes before the bowl game. If you get your first sentence wrong, I wont even bother reading the rest.

1 Like

No, I don’t see any need to.

9 Likes

Ben, you are right about the UH versus Oklahoma 1981 Sun Bowl.
With only 19 minutes to go, Coogs running back Robert Durham was on his way to a go-ahead 61-yard touchdown pass that would put the Coogs in front of the Sooners.
But two OU defenders did not give up on the play and hit Durham from behind and he fumbled into the end zone for a touchback.
From there the floodgates opened and the Cougars were toast.
Aside from the 1984 Cotton Bowl season, Durham’s costly 1981 fumble began a near-decade slide by the Cougars that wasn’t corrected until Jack Pardee arrived.

1 Like

I live in Plano and in McKinney (neighboring city) the Michael Johnson Performance Center entertains a lot of NFL hopefuls, lots.

The Sun Bowl was brutal. My ex wife was from El Paso, so I was in the stands with my wife, her parents, and my parents.
All 3 of my uncles went to OU, and my Uncle Bob played freshman ball RB under Bud Wilkinson…
So I had years of “We kicked your *** “

I did not witness the Army game in person, but this was close…

Our exceptional trainer and strength coach, Tom Wilson, grew a beard after that debacle in an effort to go incognito. I saw the game in person.

2 Likes

I thought we probably needed to move on from Major at that point. We didn’t have an offensive or defensive coordinator, we had been embarrassed, and the program seemed to have gone from its modern pinnacle to nadir. But you’re right about the bowl. We had a couple of 235-pound true freshman defensive tackles, guys no bigger than Army’s fullback; they would have been better fits on the scout team than playing in a bowl. You name the famous coach . . . He wouldn’t have done much, if any, better than Major did in that game. I’m inclined to think Major was a mistake, but buy the same token if it weren’t for bad luck he wouldn’t have had any at all.

4 Likes